Cycling Tank

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Quick question I’m starting the cycling process for my tank with reef saver rock and dry sand (not live) using the MacroBacter cycling kit. I’m using a Magniflow® Canister Filter 220 as my filter for 55g tank. Should I remove the filters during the cycling process, it has filter floss, carbon, bio balls and a sponge?

Thanks in advance,
PisceanIntrovert

8F3D9825-969D-4656-AABF-D166FAD8B844.jpeg

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the carbon, the floss and sponge will not have anything to remove so I would remove them too, the balls I would leave in as they will need cycling too.

When would you recommend adding these back into the system and thanks for your quick response!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When would you recommend adding these back into the system and thanks for your quick response!

When you start feeding the tank, they are mainly used to remove food and floating matter such as fish poo before it breaks down, so until you have floating matter in the water, no need to have them in there.

And the carbon when you add fish.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep all of it, it will seed and help you more down the line. You will not have to worry about adding a bunch of new filters to the tank later on, and possibly start another algae outbreak, after just going over one. Also you can use the foam/bioballs later on for QT tanks and not have to cycle them.
By keeping the canister as it's supposed to be, you will see what needs to be maintained more than others, whether it be foam, figuring out the best way to place your filtering media inside the canister, checking the impeller, draining and filling.
I use a Fluval FX4 on my 75 gallon, it's great.

Have a great time, happy reefing

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges and filter floss need cleaning and replacing every few days to be affective, leaving it in place will do no harm when cycling but when it’s removed/replaced so is any useful bacteria on it, the tank should have enough biological media in that any that is on the filters is over and above what is needed, so having it or not should not affect the biological capacity of the tank, my suggestion to remove it whilst cycling was for two reasons, first the tank needs to build enough biological capacity to cope without something that is going to be removed every few days, and adding when needed saves on floss and cleaning for the op, either way it is likely to matter little.
The carbon again serves little use when cycling a tank, it removes organic matter, again why adding something that is not useful for the cycling process, it’s just something else the op to replace and clean, again probably matters little but probably has the possibility of doing more harm than good when cycling a tank to leave it in.
After the tank is cycled a big water change is done, adding carbon then with fish would be my preference as it is then doing a useful job, removing organic matter and keeping the new water clear.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges and filter floss need cleaning and replacing every few days to be affective, leaving it in place will do no harm when cycling but when it’s removed/replaced so is any useful bacteria on it, the tank should have enough biological media in that any that is on the filters is over and above what is needed, so having it or not should not affect the biological capacity of the tank, my suggestion to remove it whilst cycling was for two reasons, first the tank needs to build enough biological capacity to cope without something that is going to be removed every few days, and adding when needed saves on floss and cleaning for the op, either way it is likely to matter little.
The carbon again serves little use when cycling a tank, it removes organic matter, again why adding something that is not useful for the cycling process, it’s just something else the op to replace and clean, again probably matters little but probably has the possibility of doing more harm than good when cycling a tank to leave it in.
After the tank is cycled a big water change is done, adding carbon then with fish would be my preference as it is then doing a useful job, removing organic matter and keeping the new water clear.
Not sure why you would clean and replace filters daily, that's obsurd. They can last at least a month, and you would never change more than 1 at a time...ever.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fact also factors in the cycling thread here: any poster in this thread can remove their entire sandbed all at once, any canister filters all at once, any sump media all at once down to bare glass and live rocks, and their system will not cycle or mini cycle even with the same fish loading all the original surface area was adapted to

removed all at once, no slow ramp down. The opposite of what the masses advise works very well due to the inherent power of live rock after the cycle

we have been doing this for 36 straight pages in the sand rinse thread, not a guess. The takeaway is that extra surface area beyond live rocks simply doesn’t matter though we’d like it to. Cycle with eight bags of floss in place, or just live rocks, the outcome is the same tank to tank. Turning off uv makes sense. Skimming won’t matter or affect the outcome in a cycling tank. Piscean cannot go wrong in any method chosen, cycles can’t stall or fail they just cycle in about ten days (usually a few days max) regardless of what brand of bottle bac is used.

just so that above doesn’t seem totally insane

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back