Cycling with Dr.Tim’s one and only

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went by the directions Dr Tim gave in his video (I’ve never used this method to cycle before)
I added the one and only and then according to the video I was to put in one drop of the ammonia solution per gallon, the next day measure nitrite and ammonia add one drop per gallon. I was to do this for 3 days and after the third day I wasn’t to add anything else, just wait.
I’ve still got ammonia and a tiny bit of nitrate. It’s a quarantine tank so there’s nothing in the tank except saltwater. I’m wondering if I should put in a couple small rocks or something? It’s only been 5 days so I’m not that concerned but just curious if I need to do anything else?

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went by the directions Dr Tim gave in his video (I’ve never used this method to cycle before)
I added the one and only and then according to the video I was to put in one drop of the ammonia solution per gallon, the next day measure nitrite and ammonia add one drop per gallon. I was to do this for 3 days and after the third day I wasn’t to add anything else, just wait.
I’ve still got ammonia and a tiny bit of nitrate. It’s a quarantine tank so there’s nothing in the tank except saltwater. I’m wondering if I should put in a couple small rocks or something? It’s only been 5 days so I’m not that concerned but just curious if I need to do anything else?
Adding something for the bacteria to grow on is always good, maybe a bio block or something similar, the more surface area the better.

https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/re-mover.html

If you want to speed things up I would soak the bio media in some one and only for a day before adding it to the tank and then keep the media in a moderate flow area.

Hope this helps.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I ask you a few question.

1. wend did you bought your bottle?
2. does your bottle says 1 drop per gallon or 4 drops per gallon?
3. Are you adding any bacteria source to the tank?
4. Did you done any reading of ammonia after the first dose of ammonia?
If so what was your ppm?
5. Are you going to use medication on this tank

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, I'd note .a.couple of things.

1. I wouldn't put rock in it if it is a fish QT. I would add a a sponge filter or 2 on a bubbler for aeration and for bacteria to colonize on. I would also add a HOB filter, but without any charcoal (due to meds). Mainly for aeration.

2. Does your Dr. Tim's say add one drop per gallon on the label or 4? In 2016 they switched from 1 drop to 4 because they lowered the solution percentage, so the video you watch may have been old... BUT we discovered 4 drops of the new solution lead to a pretty massive over dose. 2 drops per gallon is much closer to desired 2ppm.

What level of NH4+NH3 are you reading?

3. It sounds like it's beginning to cycle since you see some nitrate. I do the stuff I recommend and wait and test.

If you've got three drops per gallon ilyou don't need to add more right now for sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding something for the bacteria to grow on is always good, maybe a bio block or something similar, the more surface area the better.

https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/re-mover.html

If you want to speed things up I would soak the bio media in some one and only for a day before adding it to the tank and then keep the media in a moderate flow area.

Hope this

I have some small pieces of dry rock will that help ?

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'd note .a.couple of things.

1. I wouldn't put rock in it if it is a fish QT. I would add a a sponge filter or 2 on a bubbler for aeration and for bacteria to colonize on. I would also add a HOB filter, but without any charcoal (due to meds). Mainly for aeration.

2. Does your Dr. Tim's say add one drop per gallon on the label or 4? In 2016 they switched from 1 drop to 4 because they lowered the solution percentage, so the video you watch may have been old... BUT we discovered 4 drops of the new solution lead to a pretty massive over dose. 2 drops per gallon is much closer to desired 2ppm.

What level of NH4+NH3 are you reading?

3. It sounds like it's beginning to cycle since you see some nitrate. I do the stuff I recommend and wait and test.

If you've got three drops per gallon ilyou don't need to add more right now for sure.
It’s an all in one tank and uses filter socks, initially it says to remove all filter media, so I could put the filters socks back now ? I have an air stone as well I’ll put in
I have one of those ammonia badges it’s reading at the level right next to safe, hard to say on the nitrite with a color chart

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an all in one tank and uses filter socks, initially it says to remove all filter media, so I could put the filters socks back now ? I have an air stone as well I’ll put in
I have one of those ammonia badges it’s reading at the level right next to safe, hard to say on the nitrite with a color chart

Sorry at work, I swore I saw it was a qt in OP.

Rocks will be fine if it's your DT. You'll want around 1 to 1.5 pounds per gallon.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry at work, I swore I saw it was a qt in OP.

Rocks will be fine if it's your DT. You'll want around 1 to 1.5 pounds per gallon.

They probably want you to remove filter media so it will colonize your rocks and not socks, etc.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically something I can throw away or wash afterwards?

Yes, sorry, I got confused. So it is a QT.

Yes you want something you can wash or throw away afterwards and don't want to use rocks.

Eta: sorry again for the confusion.

If it's a qt, you don't want rocks due to the meds. You'll want something though for the bacteria to colonize on. Sponge filters with bubblers are commonly used. You want really good aeration during the qt treatment. So I have a HOB filter as well with no filter to just add aeration.

For a dt you obviously want rocks and lots of them. 1-1.5 lbs per gallon. And they are asking you to remove filters and bio media so the bac colonize your rocks and not anything you are going to take out and clean. They usually recommend turning off your protein skimmer for that reason too.

That make sense?

Last edited:

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sorry, I got confused. So it is a QT.

Yes you want something you can wash or throw away afterwards and don't want to use rocks.

Eta: sorry again for the confusion.

If it's a qt, you don't want rocks due to the meds. You'll want something though for the bacteria to colonize on. Sponge filters with bubblers are commonly used. You want really good aeration during the qt treatment. So I have a HOB filter as well with no filter to just add aeration.

For a dt you obviously want rocks and lots of them. 1-1.5 lbs per gallon. And they are asking you to remove filters and bio media so the bac colonize your rocks and not anything you are going to take out and clean. They usually recommend turning off your protein skimmer for that reason too.

That make sense?

3 drops per gallon should be plenty for right now. I would test and see if you over 2ppm NH4+NH3, which I assume you are.

If you are you don't want to add any more ammonia chloride for sure right now. Just test and make sure your ammonia is going down and your nitrates are going up. Your nitrites should go up and then go down as well over the coming days/week.

When you get to Ammonia zero, N02 zero, and N03 zero..dose 2 drops per gallon and test. See if you are around 2ppm. Then see if it is processed completely like before in 24 hours (no ammonia, no nitrate, only nitrate). If so, you are ready to go.

This is assuming your bottle label says add 4 drops per gallon.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some small pieces of dry rock will that help ?
Yeah that will, but once they become QT rocks they will always be QT rocks. I like the suggestion of adding a sponge filter as the more aeration the better, i just use a air stone for my qt though.

I would also be careful about trusting those ammonia badges as I have heard they are not very reliable. Manual testing is always better. I also remember dr tim mentioning to stop adding ammonia when you test it above a certain amount, it was in a podcast or something. If you send them an email I'm sure they can tell you.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 drops per gallon should be plenty for right now. I would test and see if you over 2ppm NH4+NH3, which I assume you are.

If you are you don't want to add any more ammonia chloride for sure right now. Just test and make sure your ammonia is going down and your nitrates are going up. Your nitrites should go up and then go down as well over the coming days/week.

When you get to Ammonia zero, N02 zero, and N03 zero..dose 2 drops per gallon and test. See if you are around 2ppm. Then see if it is processed completely like before in 24 hours (no ammonia, no nitrate, only nitrate). If so, you are ready to go.

This is assuming your bottle label says add 4 drops per gallon.
Thank you

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

Also, processing 2ppm is alot for 24 hours. That is meant more for DT with lots of rocks and big bioload.

If you are only going to be adding one small fish to your QT, I would say 1 ppm process in 24 hours is completey safe.

But was trying to go more by Dr. Tim's instructions.

Eta: typo in the last post.

You are looking for zero ammonia, zero NO2, and only NO3 left to know the the ammonia is fully processed.

Last edited:

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have ammonia, nitrates very low .less then 01 no nitrate showing yet
What's the ammonia level at and when did you dose?

Nitrate is 1 ppm and no nitrites? Sorry, you said nitrate for both.

Also is the water cycling in anyway? Something to add aeration?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the ammonia level at and when did you dose?

Nitrate is 1 ppm and no nitrites? Sorry, you said nitrate for both.

Also is the water cycling in anyway? Something to add aeration?
Ammonia is at 0.05 ppm last dose was Tuesday
Nitrite is below 0.1 and I’m not showing nitrates
I’m using a seachem nitrite/nitrate test so it’s hard to be exact.
Yes plenty of water circulating plus an air stone

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back