Cycling

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y’all currently 3 weeks into my
Cycle with 2 chromis. I just did a test on the water and ammonia reading was 0 ppm. Nitrite is .25ppm any advice or thoughts on when to add a pair of clownfish? Thank you

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is good indication your tank is cycling yes. really surprised you have that much nitrite at 3 weeks. what test kit do you have or are you just depending on the LFS? did they measure nitrate as well?

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it is good indication your tank is cycling yes. really surprised you have that much nitrite at 3 weeks. what test kit do you have or are you just depending on the LFS? did they measure nitrate as well?
I am relying on the local fish store but u have a nitrate test at home measures around .30-50 ppm

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with what you have in tank do not add anything more until both your ammonia and nitrite are 0. Then do a good size water change to bring down the Nitrate. Then wait a week and test. If both your ammonia and nitrite are still 0. Add some more fish 1-2 depending on size. Then rinse and repeat testing till both are at 0. Now mind you this is just from the research I have done. you already have more fish in your tank than me my tank is 6 weeks old. my clown will be going into QT on Tuesday since it toke awhile to get them. Yet my tank was not cycled enough for me to risk putting anything in for the first 4 weeks. Now have a small cuc.

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some research. Nitrite doesn’t matter in a saltwater tank. It doesn’t hurt the fish, not like in freshwater.
I have done tons of research, yes I know nitrites does not harm fish the same way it does in freshwater. was using more so as a gauge to not go to fast.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
with what you have in tank do not add anything more until both your ammonia and nitrite are 0. Then do a good size water change to bring down the Nitrate. Then wait a week and test. If both your ammonia and nitrite are still 0. Add some more fish 1-2 depending on size. Then rinse and repeat testing till both are at 0. Now mind you this is just from the research I have done. you already have more fish in your tank than me my tank is 6 weeks old. my clown will be going into QT on Tuesday since it toke awhile to get them. Yet my tank was not cycled enough for me to risk putting anything in for the first 4 weeks. Now have a small cuc.
Sorry to bother would you add a stronger CUC, currently I have 2 tiny hermit crabs and 2 nassarius snail. Any good additions for a CUC if it’s not to early

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do some research. Nitrite doesn’t matter in a saltwater tank. It doesn’t hurt the fish, not like in freshwater.
So would I be good to add 1-2 more fish tomorrow or should I wait another month and add all of them I want to add at once

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would I be good to add 1-2 more fish tomorrow or should I wait another month and add all of them I want to add at once
If your system is still recent, it’s best not to add too many fish at once. You want the bacteria to be able to handle the load so it doesn’t cause an ammonia spike.

Depending on how many fish you already have, you could add 1-2 small fish or 1 medium fish, wait 2-3 weeks than add a few more, etc.

I see you have 2 chromis, so small bioload. I would add 1 more to start. Make sure you add the most peaceful fish first, and add the most aggressive ones last.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your system is still recent, it’s best not to add too many fish at once. You want the bacteria to be able to handle the load so it doesn’t cause an ammonia spike.

Depending on how many fish you already have, you could add 1-2 small fish or 1 medium fish, wait 2-3 weeks than add a few more, etc.

I see you have 2 chromis, so small bioload. I would add 1 more to start. Make sure you add the most peaceful fish first, and add the most aggressive ones last.
So when would you recommend for me to add a clownfish pair? I am buying one bigger and one smaller hoping they will pair.

would it be smarter to add a goby and a gramma next?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when would you recommend for me to add a clownfish pair? I am buying one bigger and one smaller hoping they will pair.

would it be smarter to add a goby and a gramma next?
I think a pair of small clowns would be okay to start with. The female will probably turn out to be aggressive but this will take a while if she is small.

Make sure you test for ammonia or get a Seachem ammonia badge. If any sign of ammonia, do a water change.

But since your system is only 3 weeks old, I would keep testing for a while to make sure there is no ammonia spiking. When your Chromis have been in the tank for 3 weeks without any sign of ammonia and/or disease, then I would add the two small clowns.

Sometimes you add new fish and disease strikes a few weeks later. So you want to make sure your existing fish are thriving before adding more. To avoid unnecessary deaths.

Also, read about quarantine for new fish. If you can, buy from an LFS that does quarantine fish or at least make sure the fish you are buying has been in a tank with no other fish being added for at least 30 days. Even better, buy pre-quarantined fish, even if more expensive.

You can also do a QT at home. Lots of threads about it here on R2R.

I personally only buy from one single fish store that has quarantined fish. Nowhere else. I did buy somewhere else once. The clown killed my other fish and brought disease into my tank. I had to go fallow for 76 days. Not fun !

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think a pair of small clowns would be okay to start with. The female will probably turn out to be aggressive but this will take a while if she is small.

Make sure you test for ammonia or get a Seachem ammonia badge. If any sign of ammonia, do a water change.

But since your system is only 3 weeks old, I would keep testing for a while to make sure there is no ammonia spiking. When your Chromis have been in the tank for 3 weeks without any sign of ammonia and/or disease, then I would add the two small clowns.

Sometimes you add new fish and disease strikes a few weeks later. So you want to make sure your existing fish are thriving before adding more. To avoid unnecessary deaths.

Also, read about quarantine for new fish. If you can, buy from an LFS that does quarantine fish or at least make sure the fish you are buying has been in a tank with no other fish being added for at least 30 days. Even better, buy pre-quarantined fish, even if more expensive.

You can also do a QT at home. Lots of threads about it here on R2R.

I personally only buy from one single fish store that has quarantined fish. Nowhere else. I did buy somewhere else once. The clown killed my other fish and brought disease into my tank. I had to go fallow for 76 days. Not fun !
I appreciate the detailed response it was very helpful. Currently the chromis have been in there 15 days when it hits around 20 days I plan to add the clown fish in. Once the clownfish are settled for a week I plan to do a 50% water change and then over the spam of my tank do a 10% water change every other week. I plan to then add 1 gramma and 1 goby hopefully within 2-3 months.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the detailed response it was very helpful. Currently the chromis have been in there 15 days when it hits around 20 days I plan to add the clown fish in. Once the clownfish are settled for a week I plan to do a 50% water change and then over the spam of my tank do a 10% water change every other week. I plan to then add 1 gramma and 1 goby hopefully within 2-3 months.
I think that’s a sound plan. As long as the clowns don’t get too comfortable and think they own the tank you’ll be fine. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back