Damaged Scoly Recovery Advice

Bento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
I've just got a Scoly that has some damage/recession that has exposed some of the skeleton.

I'm just after any advice in what I can do to give it the best chance of survival. I will be getting some dip in the day or so. It will be getting place in a position with low/med flow and light and will be in a tank with filter feeding inverts that get fed roughly every 2nd day and was also going to feed it mysis shrimp once or twice a week maybe.

Is there any think that I could add or improve on?
The damage doesn't seem to be too serious I've attached some photos I can get more of needed.

Any help is appreciated

IMG_20200424_115108.jpg IMG_20200424_115119.jpg IMG_20200424_115125.jpg

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have probably killed mine 3 times on accident...all I do is keep it low in my tank and I just started hand feeding reef roids to see if it speeds up the healing process.

OP
OP
Bento

Bento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have probably killed mine 3 times on accident...all I do is keep it low in my tank and I just started hand feeding reef roids to see if it speeds up the healing process.
[/QUOTE]
dang that's rough. I've been pretty lucky with corals overall so hopefully it can recover. Sweet that's pretty much my plan and maybe a meatier food once a week

OP
OP
Bento

Bento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These 4 im trying to heal for a buddy. The warpainted barely have any tissue left when i firt got it. It regained alot since the recovery started
FCF4BA42-418B-4EA8-B219-7BBF2F7784EB.jpeg
Good luck! I've seen people bring back ones in similar shape to what you are and they have succeeded. The damage mine has is too bad relative to others I've seen recover so hopefully it's a success

Spamamos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Scoly in a similar situation.
It is slowly recovering.
I am feeding Red Sea AB+ (contains amino acids) every day as a broadcast feed and whenever I feed Reef Roids I mix it with some AB+ and water to target feed.

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get a little dish and set it in there low in the tank and off to the side, definitely don’t try and move it around the tank. like others have said, feed it some lrs or something meaty and it’ll bounce back in time. I’ve been battling really bad recession with a bowerbanki and this has helped. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Bento

Bento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Scoly in a similar situation.
It is slowly recovering.
I am feeding Red Sea AB+ (contains amino acids) every day as a broadcast feed and whenever I feed Reef Roids I mix it with some AB+ and water to target feed.
Thanks for the help. That's similar to what I done last night. I mixed reef roids with continuum coral exponential and ocean snow both have amino acids. I'll try find the red sea AB+ and give it a go! Thanks for the help and good luck with yours

OP
OP
Bento

Bento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple of photos from early morning before the lights come on
IMG_20200425_075246.jpg
IMG_20200425_075036.jpg

Rome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say aminos and reefroids should help alot, thats my trachy when i bought from my local pet store it was very small and malnourished about 6 weeks later there she is and always hungry too.

A078B83D-B212-4652-915D-864D8FE18B20.jpeg

OP
OP
Bento

Bento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update. I've been feeding reefroids every 2nd day and dosing aminos every day. I haven't tried any solid food as the mouth does look a little damaged although a mix frozen mysis, phyo and zoo plankton are broadcasted every other day.
Colouration is fine but seems to have a little more skeleton showing now. I'm going to move it to a lower light section and also may go get some antibacterial dip today. Any other suggestions on what I can do?

IMG_20200428_073800.jpg IMG_20200428_073810.jpg

Spamamos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update. I've been feeding reefroids every 2nd day and dosing aminos every day. I haven't tried any solid food as the mouth does look a little damaged although a mix frozen mysis, phyo and zoo plankton are broadcasted every other day.
Colouration is fine but seems to have a little more skeleton showing now. I'm going to move it to a lower light section and also may go get some antibacterial dip today. Any other suggestions on what I can do?

IMG_20200428_073800.jpg IMG_20200428_073810.jpg

Hey Bento - just talking from my own experience here but I would leave it for a couple of weeks. It's tempting to make adjustments because you're not seeing immediate results but give the coral time to adjust. Mine is placed in the front corner of my tank, in light but very low flow. Flow seems to bother them the most.

I would say feed twice, maybe three times a week. Give the coral a chance to recover.

Mine has taken a good few months to come back and looked the same after it was damaged for at least two months. It is probably healing internally first, then will begin to heal its flesh.

Patience will be key here.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recovered a scoly much worse then that. I'll see if I still have the pics later on down the post.

First off, skip the reef roids. Feed that beast some MEATY foods. They love to be fed, and the meatier the better. Any scoly I have fed roids too, spit it out. They prefer meatier foods(something with some substance).

Low light, low flow. While light doesn't effect them that much, the flow is what kills them. Very low flow.

IMG_20170501_1701409.jpg

20171228_161900.jpg

And thanks to peppermint shrimp, he is no longer with me. :(

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed him powder reef food ever other day: BRS reef chili, benereef, goniopower or the reefroids. Spot feed him and isolate him with the food for 20-40 minutes so fish or inverts can’t get to the powder. You can use a container like a clear plastic bowl so you see him eat the food once he eats most of it you can remove the bowl. The bowl will also stop the flow so the coral will be able to maximize eating.
Don’t dip the coral moving around may stress it out.

OP
OP
Bento

Bento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bento - just talking from my own experience here but I would leave it for a couple of weeks. It's tempting to make adjustments because you're not seeing immediate results but give the coral time to adjust. Mine is placed in the front corner of my tank, in light but very low flow. Flow seems to bother them the most.

I would say feed twice, maybe three times a week. Give the coral a chance to recover.

Mine has taken a good few months to come back and looked the same after it was damaged for at least two months. It is probably healing internally first, then will begin to heal its flesh.

Patience will be key here.
Good to now, thanks for the advice.
Yesterday I didn't end up moving it or anything just continued to do what I was doing. I found out my alk might be low for a scoly (it was at 7.2, I've been told they like it a little higher?). I've been feeding it a small amount of reefroids every 2 days. Your 100% I wasn't seeing any improvement it got worse so I just freaked out. I got know problem waiting it out. Just want to make sure I do what I can to maximize its survival hate watching things die and especially when it can be avoided plus I really dig this coral.
Mine doesn't look bad except for the skeleton showing so hopefully ball works for the best

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back