OP
Bento

Bento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recovered a scoly much worse then that. I'll see if I still have the pics later on down the post.

First off, skip the reef roids. Feed that beast some MEATY foods. They love to be fed, and the meatier the better. Any scoly I have fed roids too, spit it out. They prefer meatier foods(something with some substance).

Low light, low flow. While light doesn't effect them that much, the flow is what kills them. Very low flow.

IMG_20170501_1701409.jpg

20171228_161900.jpg

And thanks to peppermint shrimp, he is no longer with me. :(
Ive got meaty foods for it although it's mouth seems to be slightly damage that's why I was trying reefroids. I'll see if it will take mysis shrimp or chopped clam next feed. I have him in a low flow area now and add a few more rocks around it yesterday to try lessen it more.
Oh that sucks I just had to get rid of my peppermint for attacking my Christmas tree worms

OP
OP
Bento

Bento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed him powder reef food ever other day: BRS reef chili, benereef, goniopower or the reefroids. Spot feed him and isolate him with the food for 20-40 minutes so fish or inverts can’t get to the powder. You can use a container like a clear plastic bowl so you see him eat the food once he eats most of it you can remove the bowl. The bowl will also stop the flow so the coral will be able to maximize eating.
Don’t dip the coral moving around may stress it out.
I done that for the first feed. But since then I've just been turning off all the flow in my tanks while I feed, I don't have fish and the inverts I have a relatively peaceful not many go to his area of the tank if they get feed as well.

Spamamos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to now, thanks for the advice.
Yesterday I didn't end up moving it or anything just continued to do what I was doing. I found out my alk might be low for a scoly (it was at 7.2, I've been told they like it a little higher?). I've been feeding it a small amount of reefroids every 2 days. Your 100% I wasn't seeing any improvement it got worse so I just freaked out. I got know problem waiting it out. Just want to make sure I do what I can to maximize its survival hate watching things die and especially when it can be avoided plus I really dig this coral.
Mine doesn't look bad except for the skeleton showing so hopefully ball works for the best

I haven't heard that about Alk, however my reef chemistry knowledge is not top notch. Just enough to get by.

My Alk read 7.3 yesterday when I tested and mine is recovering. I would say stability is key, especially if you're trying to get it to heal.

OP
OP
Bento

Bento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard that about Alk, however my reef chemistry knowledge is not top notch. Just enough to get by.

My Alk read 7.3 yesterday when I tested and mine is recovering. I would say stability is key, especially if you're trying to get it to heal.
Sweet thanks for that. The alk was new for me as well and I could find much info on it. Cool my alk is at 7.2 the scoly gotten worse, the mouth is looking like it was damaged it's been open since I got it and hasn't closed.

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, sorry for jumping in on this but I'm after some advice please.
I have a scolly that has a bit of damage Its been like this for a long time but it doesn't seem to heal it's healthy otherwise will it ever go back to the way it should be or is it going to stay like this forever?
IMG_20210109_204033.jpg
IMG_20210109_202549.jpg
IMG_20210109_202538.jpg
IMG_20210109_203520.jpg

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a little shot I took when my bleeding apple recovered from being stung by something. Since then, I kept it in medium flow, fed it meaty foods(even tho it’s feeder tentacles don’t extend, just it’s mouth pulls the food in) and dosed vitamins. Since then it’s fat and happy.
4BA1FDA6-BCD2-4130-9B95-8AE498DF9A49.jpeg

Twistedpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a lot of luck giving damaged LPS coral essentials chroma and vibrance baths to speed up recovery. along with good water quality the recovery can be quite quick

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 33 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back