Damsel in 5 Gallon?

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just wondering if it’s doable to have either an azure or yellow tail damsel in a 5gal (long) tank? Was also considering a royal gramma or a dottyback. Whichever of these (if any) I chose, it would be the only fish in the tank.

The reason I ask is that I’m aware the general guidelines say 30gal but I’m wondering if this is due to them being territorial to other fish, in which case, that would not be an issue as they will be the only one in there.

I’ve kept saltwater tanks before for a few years, but have never had any of the above mentioned fish so not sure how they’d go in there. I wouldn’t want them to be miserable! I’d rather not do it if that was the case.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The springer's damsel I have right now is the smallest one I have ever had at just over an inch long and although not really mean to other fish it does an awful lot of exploring in a 28gal with lots of rock and coral. I don't know how much fish care about the space they are in or whether they get stir crazy but if the way this fish acts is an indication of what sort of environment it likes I would think a 5 gal is to small for it to act normally let alone larger damsels.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some nano gobies like some species of eviota from biota. They will rest on rocks but do a lot of hovering and they like groups. Could fit a few in there and get a lot of personality out of them! They would ignore and be ignored by most other fish too.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done small dottybacks in my fluval spec 5, which has a longer footprint than the standard 5.5 gal. tanks. Springer's or orchid dottybacks are some of the best, as long as they have a cave to call their own they don't really explore that much. They stay smaller than the other common dottyback species.

That being said, springer's damsels are also probably the best choice if you want to try it.

Other fish to consider:
Any of the clown/coral gobies
Any of the Eviota or Elacatinus gobies
Geometric pygmy hawkfish
Blue-stripe pipefish
Pygmy seahorses (if you want a real challenge)
A nano pistol shrimp and goby pair (Stonogobiops yasha or Stonogobiops nematodes and an Alpheus randalli are the most available)

OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some nano gobies like some species of eviota from biota. They will rest on rocks but do a lot of hovering and they like groups. Could fit a few in there and get a lot of personality out of them! They would ignore and be ignored by most other fish too.
Thanks so much for the suggestion, I’m in Australia though so couldn’t get from Biota. But a small goby is a great idea, I may look into that!

OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done small dottybacks in my fluval spec 5, which has a longer footprint than the standard 5.5 gal. tanks. Springer's or orchid dottybacks are some of the best, as long as they have a cave to call their own they don't really explore that much. They stay smaller than the other common dottyback species.

That being said, springer's damsels are also probably the best choice if you want to try it.

Other fish to consider:
Any of the clown/coral gobies
Any of the Eviota or Elacatinus gobies
Geometric pygmy hawkfish
Blue-stripe pipefish
Pygmy seahorses (if you want a real challenge)
A nano pistol shrimp and goby pair (Stonogobiops yasha or Stonogobiops nematodes and an Alpheus randalli are the most available)
Hmm great ideas in there! Are dottybacks big explorers?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many years ago, had 4 damsel and a shrimp in a 5 1/2 gallon

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just wondering if it’s doable to have either an azure or yellow tail damsel in a 5gal (long) tank? Was also considering a royal gramma or a dottyback. Whichever of these (if any) I chose, it would be the only fish in the tank.

The reason I ask is that I’m aware the general guidelines say 30gal but I’m wondering if this is due to them being territorial to other fish, in which case, that would not be an issue as they will be the only one in there.

I’ve kept saltwater tanks before for a few years, but have never had any of the above mentioned fish so not sure how they’d go in there. I wouldn’t want them to be miserable! I’d rather not do it if that was the case.

A springers would likely be fine in a 5g long. I have one in a 80g and it has stayed tiny.

However my favorite fish for picos are:

Greenbanded gobies: very personable, NOT shy, easy to feed, active! They change sex so two juvies will likely become a pair.

Two spot blenny: tons of blenny personality in a tiny package

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good idea, no.

Look at Gobies. Hit up Biota. They have several to choose from all would do amazing in a 5 gallon. Some work in groups. With the right aquascape, coral selection, it would be an amazing display.

OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A springers would likely be fine in a 5g long. I have one in a 80g and it has stayed tiny.

However my favorite fish for picos are:

Greenbanded gobies: very personable, NOT shy, easy to feed, active! They change sex so two juvies will likely become a pair.

Two spot blenny: tons of blenny personality in a tiny package
Awesome thanks for the suggestions. I’ll look into something like that!

OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good idea, no.

Look at Gobies. Hit up Biota. They have several to choose from all would do amazing in a 5 gallon. Some work in groups. With the right aquascape, coral selection, it would be an amazing display.
Yes I might even see if I can get a goby shrimp pair in there. I don’t think biota is available in Australia though.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I would have no problem at all having a Azure or a Yellow Tail Damsel as an only-fish in a 5-gallon tank. I had one in a 7-gallon all-in-one (so about 5 gallons in the main tank), and he was super happy.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I might even see if I can get a goby shrimp pair in there. I don’t think biota is available in Australia though.

Oh - my apologies for missing your location :( I'm a dork for assuming.

Goby shrimp pair would be amazing. You have some great options though. Once you pick please share. Would love to see what you come up with!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I would have no problem at all having a Azure or a Yellow Tail Damsel as an only-fish in a 5-gallon tank. I had one in a 7-gallon all-in-one (so about 5 gallons in the main tank), and he was super happy.
Ok great! I guess like any fish it depends on the individual you get as to how they handle it. Think I’m now erring more toward a goby/shrimp pair.

OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - my apologies for missing your location :( I'm a dork for assuming.

Goby shrimp pair would be amazing. You have some great options though. Once you pick please share. Would love to see what you come up with!
Will definitely share! I should actually start a build thread of my current tank. It’s a 20gal cube, about 12 weeks old. It’s got an oscellaris clown, and a yellow assessor, various soft and lps corals. I’m really happy with it so far!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back