Damsel in 5 Gallon?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just wondering if it’s doable to have either an azure or yellow tail damsel in a 5gal (long) tank? Was also considering a royal gramma or a dottyback. Whichever of these (if any) I chose, it would be the only fish in the tank.

The reason I ask is that I’m aware the general guidelines say 30gal but I’m wondering if this is due to them being territorial to other fish, in which case, that would not be an issue as they will be the only one in there.

I’ve kept saltwater tanks before for a few years, but have never had any of the above mentioned fish so not sure how they’d go in there. I wouldn’t want them to be miserable! I’d rather not do it if that was the case.
I had a jeweled damsel in a 2g reef jar for a couple months and it did fine. Moved it to a 90g when I got tired of the weekly water changes on those jars and it died in there a few weeks later. Bigger tank doesn’t necessarily mean better life.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will definitely share! I should actually start a build thread of my current tank. It’s a 20gal cube, about 12 weeks old. It’s got an oscellaris clown, and a yellow assessor, various soft and lps corals. I’m really happy with it so far!

Yellow assessor - love them. I have one and really enjoy how it swims up and down a rock wall / overhang in my system. Great choice but not going to lie - i'm biased :D

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barnacle blennies would be perfect. They hide in the rocks 99% of the time so don't need swimming space and they only get to maybe 1.5" at most. They are fun to watch darting in and out of their holes to get food.

This is actually a great suggestion. They are some really neat looking fish with great personalities.

Good recommendation!

OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a jeweled damsel in a 2g reef jar for a couple months and it did fine. Moved it to a 90g when I got tired of the weekly water changes on those jars and it died in there a few weeks later. Bigger tank doesn’t necessarily mean better life.
Wow interesting huh, they are fickle sometimes. I’m sorry your fish died on you :(

OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barnacle blennies would be perfect. They hide in the rocks 99% of the time so don't need swimming space and they only get to maybe 1.5" at most. They are fun to watch darting in and out of their holes to get food.
Great suggestion Rtaylor, but I’m not sure I can get them in Australia.

OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow assessor - love them. I have one and really enjoy how it swims up and down a rock wall / overhang in my system. Great choice but not going to lie - i'm biased :D
Me to! It’s such a weirdo, it’s great!

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it can!

If in any doubt, just remember sardines.... 10 of them in small can, and you dont hear them complaining.
Lol, funny answer. My wife is the only bone that complains when I open a can to eat as a snack during a television show.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C3AF0D35-CFA3-4128-80F4-6842F9823CBB.jpeg

This was my 7-gallon AIO with a Yellow Tail Damsel, a small Clown, and a Shrimp.

OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C3AF0D35-CFA3-4128-80F4-6842F9823CBB.jpeg

This was my 7-gallon AIO with a Yellow Tail Damsel, a small Clown, and a Shrimp.
Beautiful! What did you think of that tank? That’s the lifeguard full view yes? Was looking at that style as well as a fluval evo.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
54393941-8D12-42C9-98F7-A700BEEEC8A3.jpeg

Yes— LifeGuard Aquatics 7-gallon AIO. Slant nose front. Fun little plug n’ play tank. Great as a beginner thank and beyond.

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking either a fire shrimp or some sexy shrimp. Depending on the fish that goes in there.
Sexy shrimp and fire shrimp are awesome, I said red blood shrimp because there big so you have more freedom with fish stocking, but any shrimp would be fine as long as they don't get eaten alive.

OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy shrimp and fire shrimp are awesome, I said red blood shrimp because there big so you have more freedom with fish stocking, but any shrimp would be fine as long as they don't get eaten alive.
Yeah I definitely won’t go for sexy shrimp if there’s anything that’s likely to eat them going in the tank!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back