Damsel in distress or should we say owner?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Decades ago, we filled our tanks with damselfish. When we started a tank, it was damsels and clowns, afterall, they were colorful and cheap. My first damsels were 89 cents each. I had 5 blue devils a 4 stripe, domino damsel, velvet damsel and a yellowtail blue. I then added a condylactus anemone which I believe were $3.99 and it was the Domino damsel who called the condy home. After a few weeks, there was a war brewing in a 10 gallon tank which is what I had at the time.
Moving fast forward, we at some point upgraded and the interest shifted to plentiful Hi-hat grunts, porkfish, small grey and French angels as well as many butterfly fish on display at LFS. I then bought a 55g and had some of the fish mentioned and once again, added damsels for color and movement in the tank they shined nicely under my Shop light type fixture.

Now today we hear of the horror stories with bullying and territorial damsels and yet they were the things as mentioned decades ago. They became recognized tank terrors.

How many reefers still have damsels? What is your experience with them?
If you dont have them, what is your reasoning?
What are members paying for a damsel these days?

Post pics of your damsels past and present - afterall, they are small yet vibrant in color !!

File pic:

1690292392714.png

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any past pictures, but here’s a current one of my whitetail damsel. Actually gets along well with my YWG. And these go for $11.99 at my LFS.
image.jpg
Nice looking damsel!

JonGrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 7 damsels in my 150. 5 Springeri and 2 Azures. The Springeri will squabble amongst each other every now and then but overall have been a great addition. I’ve even contemplated adding a trio of Talbots…

Attachments

• IMG_0740.jpeg
    IMG_0740.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 46

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my three sapphire or blue devil damsels. I currently have six damsels in my tank: 3x sapphire, 1x talbot, 1x domino and 1x 2-stripe. I had an azure damsel until yesterday (one of my oldest) but it was wounded in a fight and I believe perished (a particularly territorial lyretail chromis is the prime suspect).

They have actually been some of the most peaceful and well-behaved fish in my tank. Except for the yellow belly damsel I once had, which is basically the devil incarnate.

C25EEAE6-4939-4C87-B817-E9AFD18E9D05.jpeg
Huey, Louey or Dewey (not sure which).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any past pictures, but here’s a current one of my whitetail damsel. Actually gets along well with my YWG. And these go for $11.99 at my LFS.
I briefly had one of these (sold as a zebra) but the other fish didn't take kindly to it and "jumped" it within the first 12 hours.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I currently have 7 damsels in my 150. 5 Springeri and 2 Azures. The Springeri will squabble amongst each other every now and then but overall have been a great addition. I’ve even contemplated adding a trio of Talbots…
When I eventually get a bigger tank, I want to get a school of springeri since I hear they can coexist?

What is your experience as well @blaxsun ?

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 stripe- have 1 now and had back 16 yrs ago went I sent up my first salt tank
Roland’s- subtly pretty and well behaved
Springeri- more cryptic than the others but well behaved
Scott’s- a lil punchy but still not a terror and the most outgoing of the 4 I own today

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my tanks have damsels, except the fowlr. I like having fish that live in the coral, rather than the big showy ones (though I have some of those too).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I eventually get a bigger tank, I want to get a school of springeri since I hear they can coexist?
What is your experience as well @blaxsun ?
I will probably try to add a few more blue damsels - either some azures, sapphire devil or springeri.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds like Azures are a good choice damsel

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like Azures are a good choice damsel
Very. I'm missing mine already. I added 3 sapphire devil damsels and he didn't even bat an eye; the 4 of them got along like peas in a pod.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue yellow tail and a yellow belly (don't know actual names) in my 180g. They each have their own part of the tank but occasionally will swim together. I'd love to have more but am afraid of upsetting the harmony. They are the prettiest blue out of all my fish and their eyes are stunning.
Had a domino a while back and won't make that mistake again.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1078.jpeg

“One-eye was a breeding pair and he is the boss of the tank. His mate jumped but he (she?) still protects the peace in the fish tank. I wear long gloves and One eye attacks me when I’m cleaning. The school of female Dispar Anthias are all female and I think it’s because One eye is the dominant fish in the system?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pmenty of the bully type damsels and the ever dwindling chromis over the decades. Recently had a starcki and loved it. As it grew it did have some mild bully behavior against more passive fish like my pintail and lineatus wrasses. Not sure I would try one again.

6194.jpeg

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orange tail damsel and he seems pretty aggressive. I tried adding an orange spot goby and pistol shrimp and he unalived the goby the following morning. tank size may also contribute and I didn’t think to use an acclimation box till it was too late.

Attachments

• IMG_5075.jpeg
    IMG_5075.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 23

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tail damsel, added last. Very peaceful and is actually at the bottom of the pecking order in my tank. I swore off damsels decades ago after buying a beautiful but evil orange tail that would kill any fish I put in the tank. But after reading about the reputation of yellow tails and wanting a splash of blue in my tank I went with the yellowtail without any regrets.
AFF1647B-8FA6-4564-9E3C-72E61F10CDAF.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orange tail damsel and he seems pretty aggressive. I tried adding an orange spot goby and pistol shrimp and he unalived the goby the following morning. tank size may also contribute and I didn’t think to use an acclimation box till it was too late.
I feel your pain. I struggled for a long time, and dead fish, before sending the little demon back to my lfs.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Damsels' aggressions curbed a bit by a large tank and a lot of rockwork to hide in?

I am deciding on the last few fishes on my 125G, with very peaceful tankmates so far. Wanted a splash of yellow and blue and damsels fit the bill well (I would prefer a cherub angel, but I know they are 50/50 with LPS).

Would an Azure be relatively peaceful?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back