Damsel in distress or should we say owner?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Damsels' aggressions curbed a bit by a large tank and a lot of rockwork to hide in?

I am deciding on the last few fishes on my 125G, with very peaceful tankmates so far. Wanted a splash of yellow and blue and damsels fit the bill well (I would prefer a cherub angel, but I know they are 50/50 with LPS).

Would an Azure be relatively peaceful?
Ya mine is one of six in a 32 gallon. Azures are also considered peaceful and people with your size tank have kept multiple ones.
583BB91F-1D7F-43E7-AAB2-9AB691780B3E.jpeg

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 springer damsels (or at least I think that is what they are, don’t remember the specie name well)

Attachments

• IMG_4233.jpeg
    IMG_4233.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4231.jpeg
    IMG_4231.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 25

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I inherited may tank over 12 years ago there were 2 damsels in it, a yellow one and a four stripes/ white tail one.
They were staying in opposite side of the tank. Yellow died after 2 years or so, but I still have the four stripes.
As the oldest fish in the tank it was extremely aggressive. Though the clown fish I first added were able to stand their ground, other fish were attacked. It killed one green chromis and one coral beauty . So I took the habit to put it "in jail" when I added fish. I put a tank separation and it was by itself, in a corner for a few weeks. When I released it, there were no more problems. Now it is a model citizen, and I have a peaceful aquarium.
I also have 7 green chromis, for about 6 years. They fight between themselves and spawn regularly but do not bother any other fish. The chromis make my tank very lively.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Damsels' aggressions curbed a bit by a large tank and a lot of rockwork to hide in?

I am deciding on the last few fishes on my 125G, with very peaceful tankmates so far. Wanted a splash of yellow and blue and damsels fit the bill well (I would prefer a cherub angel, but I know they are 50/50 with LPS).

Would an Azure be relatively peaceful?
Definitely. Having a unique sleeping spot for each is key. Preferably one you've made since they will excavate one on their own if you don't lend assistance... Yes, an azure is a good choice.

Rusty Baldwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently fight a Damsel problem. Two Azure are trying to kill one of their own. I separated them for a week or so and it didn’t help. I also have a maroon that was on a killing spree and I am starting to think it’s the damsels

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decades ago, we filled our tanks with damselfish. When we started a tank, it was damsels and clowns, afterall, they were colorful and cheap. My first damsels were 89 cents each. I had 5 blue devils a 4 stripe, domino damsel, velvet damsel and a yellowtail blue. I then added a condylactus anemone which I believe were $3.99 and it was the Domino damsel who called the condy home. After a few weeks, there was a war brewing in a 10 gallon tank which is what I had at the time.
Moving fast forward, we at some point upgraded and the interest shifted to plentiful Hi-hat grunts, porkfish, small grey and French angels as well as many butterfly fish on display at LFS. I then bought a 55g and had some of the fish mentioned and once again, added damsels for color and movement in the tank they shined nicely under my Shop light type fixture.

Now today we hear of the horror stories with bullying and territorial damsels and yet they were the things as mentioned decades ago. They became recognized tank terrors.

How many reefers still have damsels? What is your experience with them?
If you dont have them, what is your reasoning?
What are members paying for a damsel these days?

Post pics of your damsels past and present - afterall, they are small yet vibrant in color !!

File pic:

1690292392714.png
Ive got the blue one with the yellow tail. Cant get a picture of the dude he is so fast! Was a tank terror and bullied my baby maroon clown I added to pair with my female maroon. She didnt take too kindly to that and put him in his place. Now that the male is bigger he chases the damsel away from his anemone haha. I like them, they look super cool but dont know if I want to tempt fate by adding another haha

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got the blue one with the yellow tail. Cant get a picture of the dude he is so fast! Was a tank terror and bullied my baby maroon clown I added to pair with my female maroon. She didnt take too kindly to that and put him in his place. Now that the male is bigger he chases the damsel away from his anemone haha. I like them, they look super cool but dont know if I want to tempt fate by adding another haha
Yellow belly damsels and to a lesser extent, yellow tail damsels (not be confused with azures) can be unholy little terrors.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow belly damsels and to a lesser extent, yellow tail damsels (not be confused with azures) can be unholy little terrors.
Not sure what my dude is! He came in with an order of chromis! I get some weird fish from mix ups like my random dwarf angel lol

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what my dude is! He came in with an order of chromis! I get some weird fish from mix ups like my random dwarf angel lol
This is what mine is

Attachments

• IMG_1985.png
    IMG_1985.png
    441 KB · Views: 19

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Partial yellow belly/yellow tail (45 degree angle) = azure
Yellow belly/blue tail = yellow belly
Blue body/yellow tail (only) = yellow tail

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he is a little guy. Tries to hang out with my lionfish but she just swims away from him haha
Just be happy you dodged a bullet with a yellow belly... Mine would excavate half the sand bed, wait for me to fill it in and then do it all over again as I watched.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just be happy you dodged a bullet with a yellow belly... Mine would excavate half the sand bed, wait for me to fill it in and then do it all over again as I watched.
Thats right ! Their highlight of the day :

1690419396106.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats right ! Their highlight of the day :
I wish I'd have taken a video. They (and in particular, this one) did this thing where it would remain stationary and just "motorboat" their tail - blasting up a storm. This is the closest I could find:

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I'd have taken a video. They (and in particular, this one) did this thing where it would remain stationary and just "motorboat" their tail - blasting up a storm. This is the closest I could find:

My whitetail damsel does this. Inside his cave is the only bare-bottomed part of the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back