Dark Spot on Naso Tang (Belly)

strawberry_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all - little bit of background. I’ve had this guy for about 3(ish) years now. Was in my 90 as a baby, then my 150 once he got bigger, then went into my 180 early this April when I upgraded.

He has always been a great eater, never picked on by other fish/tangs, and is 99.9% peaceful. His RIGHT side is fine (as pictured below).

IMG_9269.jpeg

With that said, I noticed this “dark” spot on his LEFT side/belly today, was not there yesterday. Still eating fine - fed both frozen and nori today, ate like he always does.

Any idea? I was thinking a sting/injury but was not sure. Tank does have a wide variety of corals, but no nems. Thanks in advanced!

IMG_9268.jpeg

IMG_9266.jpeg

IMG_9267.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey all - little bit of background. I’ve had this guy for about 3(ish) years now. Was in my 90 as a baby, then my 150 once he got bigger, then went into my 180 early this April when I upgraded.

He has always been a great eater, never picked on by other fish/tangs, and is 99.9% peaceful. His RIGHT side is fine (as pictured below).

IMG_9269.jpeg

With that said, I noticed this “dark” spot on his LEFT side/belly today, was not there yesterday. Still eating fine - fed both frozen and nori today, ate like he always does.

Any idea? I was thinking a sting/injury but was not sure. Tank does have a wide variety of corals, but no nems. Thanks in advanced!

IMG_9268.jpeg

IMG_9266.jpeg

IMG_9267.jpeg
This is either post injury mark or bacterial. I cant tell the size of the circle but can be a bite mark from a larger fish. My best guess is a bruise from injury and at this point, keep an eye on it for healing and not becoming infected. It would be a good idea to secure a vial of seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 in case it becomes infected and would have to be treated in a separate quarantine tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in the tank?

Jay

OP
OP
strawberry_reef

strawberry_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What other fish are in the tank?

Jay
Whitetail kole tang, chocolate tang, hippo tang, borbonius anthias, two frostbite clown fish, swallowtail angel, lamarck angel, wantanabei angel, twospot hog fish.

He is the largest fish in the tank, besides the wantanabei angel (who is also a model citizen). Nothing has ever shown aggression towards him that I have ever seen in the last three years. He usually keeps to himself or swims around with the hippo.

OP
OP
strawberry_reef

strawberry_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is either post injury mark or bacterial. I cant tell the size of the circle but can be a bite mark from a larger fish. My best guess is a bruise from injury and at this point, keep an eye on it for healing and not becoming infected. It would be a good idea to secure a vial of seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 in case it becomes infected and would have to be treated in a separate quarantine tank
Thank you, sir! Going to keep an eye on things over the next few days and see if it heals up. If it doesn’t I’m gonna pull him for QT.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you, sir! Going to keep an eye on things over the next few days and see if it heals up. If it doesn’t I’m gonna pull him for QT.
wantanabei has a small mouth. Keep an eye also for aggressive tankmates if any especially at feeding time.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whitetail kole tang, chocolate tang, hippo tang, borbonius anthias, two frostbite clown fish, swallowtail angel, lamarck angel, wantanabei angel, twospot hog fish.

He is the largest fish in the tank, besides the wantanabei angel (who is also a model citizen). Nothing has ever shown aggression towards him that I have ever seen in the last three years. He usually keeps to himself or swims around with the hippo.
OK, I was just looking for something that could have attacked it. Nothing of note there.
Jay

OP
OP
strawberry_reef

strawberry_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Small update: the spot looks a bit smaller, and he smashed both frozen and pellets today (per usual). Giving it another 2 days to see if it goes away before I decide to QT.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 56 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back