DarkReefer's Waterbox 70.2 (My First Marine Tank!)

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How'd your X1 go this morning?

Yeah my tank is small for a Foxface as well but I got a small one so it should be okay for a while (hopefully I'll have a bigger tank by the time I need to change it out! :p)
There's other breeds of rabbitfish that might be of interest/use to you and your tank though that still eat bubble algae.
There was a really derpy looking one that I wanted, very dull boring coloured fish but it still had character, but they didn't have one available so I got the foxface instead. The foxface was the one I was initially interested in but I was told it was hit and miss with eating the algae, thankfully this guy is amazing and picked every bit of it he can get to clean.

Whilst not entirely an 'impulse buy', I got a Klir Fleece Roller today. It seems to be a pretty cool bit of kit, I'll likely still run a single filter sock, but maybe just a mesh one. Will see how it travels. Not 100% sure I set it up entirely right, but I'm giving it a shot and hoping it works out.

My aim is to try and get the tank a little more automated, hence the roller and getting an X4 Pro in the coming weeks hopefully. I think making things like dosing/changing filter socks etc more automated will assist in future when the missus and I want to go on holidays somewhere, means I wont need to get someone around to do anything (or very little at least).

The X1 is going great so far. It is dosing as it is supposed to. Getting mine calibrated took awhile but not because of the product just the way I have mine set up it took awhile. The App is easy for me to use. It keeps up with everything and tells me when I am getting low on everything and need to change out solutions so very pleased so far.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The X1 is going great so far. It is dosing as it is supposed to. Getting mine calibrated took awhile but not because of the product just the way I have mine set up it took awhile. The App is easy for me to use. It keeps up with everything and tells me when I am getting low on everything and need to change out solutions so very pleased so far.
Nice, glad to hear it's doing well. I watched a YT video on the X4 and got to see the app (assuming it's the same one), and it looks like a really good piece of tech to use. I liked that it tells you how long before things need replacing etc.

Definitely keen to get my hands on it and get it all set up. Wish I had the ability/tools/equipment to do some great cable work in the sump, it's starting to look at a bit crazy in there lol.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, glad to hear it's doing well. I watched a YT video on the X4 and got to see the app (assuming it's the same one), and it looks like a really good piece of tech to use. I liked that it tells you how long before things need replacing etc.

Definitely keen to get my hands on it and get it all set up. Wish I had the ability/tools/equipment to do some great cable work in the sump, it's starting to look at a bit crazy in there lol.

At least you have a sump. I dont so its literally attached to my wall right above the tank. My cables don't look too crazy but I dont have pumps that are on automation so I pull my pumps out of the sockets every night at feeding time to let everything eat. I have the single doser. Did you get one with multiple pumps or just multiple units to connect together? Is yours Bluetooth or wifi enabled? Mines Bluetooth. WiFi was like $20 and didn't bother me to be on bluetooth.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you have a sump. I dont so its literally attached to my wall right above the tank. My cables don't look too crazy but I dont have pumps that are on automation so I pull my pumps out of the sockets every night at feeding time to let everything eat. I have the single doser. Did you get one with multiple pumps or just multiple units to connect together? Is yours Bluetooth or wifi enabled? Mines Bluetooth. WiFi was like $20 and didn't bother me to be on bluetooth.

Yeah thankfully the cables are all in the sump etc so at least its mostly hidden, but it'd be nice if I could clean it up at some point.
I'm getting the X4 Pro, so it has 4 dosers all within the single unit. I think it's a wifi unit rather than bluetooth, but not 100% sure.
I do like being able to see things when I'm away from home as well so should be a handy feature.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if I was dosing 3 or 4 components the wifi would be nice bit I dont need to look at it from home to know its ok when I am only dosing 1 thing. I have it set to only dose once a day right now but I might move it to like every 4 or 5hrs to split it all up. If I didn't have to keep my phytoplankton in my fridge I would buy another and have it dose phyto throughout the day as well.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get your doser in yet?

Still waiting for stock unfortunately :(
No exact ETA, pretty much 'it'll arrive when it arrives', think their supplier is a bit crap.

Went in yesterday got some more NSW and a test done. Starting to wonder about the results as my at home results differ a bit to theirs.
Was told to double my rowaphos in my media reactor as phosphates still high (approx 0.2), so I've done that.
Also started looking into getting 2x 200L so I can stop messing around with carrying and filling up 25L containers all the time and just run the pump from the room behind where the tank is when I need to fill it up. Will allow me to do a larger water change too, which I supposedly need.

They also started talking to me about potentially having to look into a chaeto reactor as he thinks my bio load is too high and it'll help drop it down and manage the phosphates a lot more and I wont have to have as much phosphate media in there.

Looking forward to getting the issues sorted and seeing some growth happening in the tank and some happy corals again. It's one heck of a process though so far.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today was the first time in a long time that my test results were good across the board at the LFS.
Phos has come back down (approx 0.03 supposedly), so very happy with that. Looks like doubling the dosage I had of rowaphos really helped.

Picked up a few things including 4x Trochus Snails, 1x Strombus snail & what I *think* is a Sarcophyton soft coral.
The trochus are to replace the approx 3-4 that have died in the last few months, Strombus also to replace one that was lost many months back and the Sarco as a new addition (it's been a while since I added a coral due to the parameters and figured a softie would be good as I'm told they'll use less nutrients).

As I was dipping it I noticed what I thought was a worm... turns out it was actually a little brittle star!.. I stopped the dip after quickly researching what it was and reading it was generally considered reef safe etc, however I'm not sure how hopeful I am that it'll survive. It was in there for a good 5-10 minutes :(
Would've loved to have gotten a freebie like that haha.

Also came to find I have a heap of Vermetid snails growing throughout my tank.
I used to think it was just some type of algae so I googled it today and unfortunately looks like its this annoying pest instead. Might be what has been hurting my Alveopora as well as there were 3 on there :( I don't know if it'll come back but I took it out today and crushed them.

Still no dosing pump either, might look online instead, can't keep waiting for stock that may or may not appear... we'll see.

This gold tip elegance is amazing, absolutely loving life. My clowns love it as well, always playing around in it.
20220115_141525.jpg

Zoas seem to be doing well, and my baby Blue Tang came to say hi!
(You can also see one of those dang snails on the bottom left of the rockwork)
20220115_141617(0).jpg

Closer up of the Radioactive Zoa
20220115_142659.jpg

My Forrestfire Bubble Anemone (now split in 2 as of the last week or two :) )
A lot of the fish wanted to jump in on the photo also!
20220115_141909_006.jpg

The Scoly is slowly starting to make a comeback after the issues it had (also had the foxface picking at it when it first went into the tank). Thought it was done for. Also, check out how average the sand is... not bad considering it was vac'd 8 hours ago...
20220115_142707.jpg

More Zoa close ups
20220115_142716.jpg

My Duncan, one of the OG's of the tank. I feel it should have more colour than it does though. Thinking about moving it again. It used to be near where the anemone are now, but I moved it away when I saw they were getting close and at the time the pink goni it's next to was closed up anyway, but now that parameters are finally getting sorted I need to find a more permanent spot for it otherwise it'll fight the goni most likely.

20220115_142748.jpg

The Sarco with the brittle star under it. This was in the clean tank water after it was dipped.

20220115_151213.jpg

And in the tank, hopefully it adjusts well and is happy quickly.
20220115_151812.jpg

muffinmanXL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today was the first time in a long time that my test results were good across the board at the LFS.
Phos has come back down (approx 0.03 supposedly), so very happy with that. Looks like doubling the dosage I had of rowaphos really helped.

Picked up a few things including 4x Trochus Snails, 1x Strombus snail & what I *think* is a Sarcophyton soft coral.
The trochus are to replace the approx 3-4 that have died in the last few months, Strombus also to replace one that was lost many months back and the Sarco as a new addition (it's been a while since I added a coral due to the parameters and figured a softie would be good as I'm told they'll use less nutrients).

As I was dipping it I noticed what I thought was a worm... turns out it was actually a little brittle star!.. I stopped the dip after quickly researching what it was and reading it was generally considered reef safe etc, however I'm not sure how hopeful I am that it'll survive. It was in there for a good 5-10 minutes :(
Would've loved to have gotten a freebie like that haha.

Also came to find I have a heap of Vermetid snails growing throughout my tank.
I used to think it was just some type of algae so I googled it today and unfortunately looks like its this annoying pest instead. Might be what has been hurting my Alveopora as well as there were 3 on there :( I don't know if it'll come back but I took it out today and crushed them.

Still no dosing pump either, might look online instead, can't keep waiting for stock that may or may not appear... we'll see.

This gold tip elegance is amazing, absolutely loving life. My clowns love it as well, always playing around in it.
20220115_141525.jpg

Zoas seem to be doing well, and my baby Blue Tang came to say hi!
(You can also see one of those dang snails on the bottom left of the rockwork)
20220115_141617(0).jpg

Closer up of the Radioactive Zoa
20220115_142659.jpg

My Forrestfire Bubble Anemone (now split in 2 as of the last week or two :) )
A lot of the fish wanted to jump in on the photo also!
20220115_141909_006.jpg

The Scoly is slowly starting to make a comeback after the issues it had (also had the foxface picking at it when it first went into the tank). Thought it was done for. Also, check out how average the sand is... not bad considering it was vac'd 8 hours ago...
20220115_142707.jpg

More Zoa close ups
20220115_142716.jpg

My Duncan, one of the OG's of the tank. I feel it should have more colour than it does though. Thinking about moving it again. It used to be near where the anemone are now, but I moved it away when I saw they were getting close and at the time the pink goni it's next to was closed up anyway, but now that parameters are finally getting sorted I need to find a more permanent spot for it otherwise it'll fight the goni most likely.

20220115_142748.jpg

The Sarco with the brittle star under it. This was in the clean tank water after it was dipped.

20220115_151213.jpg

And in the tank, hopefully it adjusts well and is happy quickly.
20220115_151812.jpg
Wow, that gold elegance looks amazing! Wish my clowns would host mine. Digging your aqua scape as well

re: fish, would suggest chilling out / slowing down with the new additions; especially given the relatively small size of your tank. Two tangs (incl a hippo), a rabbitfish, and at least three other fish in a 35g(?) display tank is a bit dense and am worried there’s more losses and heartbreak in your future (e.g. tangs are ich/disease prone, especially when stressed).

Looks like you’re headed in the right track with nutrient management, careful not to bottom out on your phosphates / nitrate levels; Dino’s can be a backbreaker

Happy reefing!

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that gold elegance looks amazing! Wish my clowns would host mine. Digging your aqua scape as well

re: fish, would suggest chilling out / slowing down with the new additions; especially given the relatively small size of your tank. Two tangs (incl a hippo), a rabbitfish, and at least three other fish in a 35g(?) display tank is a bit dense and am worried there’s more losses and heartbreak in your future (e.g. tangs are ich/disease prone, especially when stressed).

Looks like you’re headed in the right track with nutrient management, careful not to bottom out on your phosphates / nitrate levels; Dino’s can be a backbreaker

Happy reefing!

Thanks! Really happy with how the gold elegance is going, it certainly takes up a bit of real estate though in it's corner :p

The display is about 47g or so, but you're right. It's heavily stocked and probably even slightly overstocked fish wise. I don't intend on buying any more fish. Quite happy with the ones that I have though and thankfully for the most part they get along at the moment.

Would love to upgrade to a larger tank at some point but will need to convince the other half about that one haha.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this week I got hold of a couple 190L Olive barrels and filled them with NSW.
Been planning to do this for ages and just never got around to it, so now I should be able to perform the larger water changes and not have to go visit the LFS every single week! (the guys there are awesome though, but it'll be nice to have the extra time to do other things). Will still likely head down this week and grab more RODI water though.

I also got tired of waiting for their stock to come in for the Kamoer X4 Pro as I couldn't get a firm ETA, so I found one online from the other side of the country on Sunday/Monday and bought that one and it arrived yesterday (yay!). Saved myself about 40 bux or more in the process as well as local RRP seems to be higher, so that's also good.
I'll have to spend some time setting that one up this weekend.

Lastly and I don't want to jinx it, but it looks like my Brittle Star might pull through. It's been moving around on the coral that I picked up last week, so it's still alive.
Fingers crossed I didn't allow something else into the tank though because I cut the dip short lol.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this week I got hold of a couple 190L Olive barrels and filled them with NSW.
Been planning to do this for ages and just never got around to it, so now I should be able to perform the larger water changes and not have to go visit the LFS every single week! (the guys there are awesome though, but it'll be nice to have the extra time to do other things). Will still likely head down this week and grab more RODI water though.

I also got tired of waiting for their stock to come in for the Kamoer X4 Pro as I couldn't get a firm ETA, so I found one online from the other side of the country on Sunday/Monday and bought that one and it arrived yesterday (yay!). Saved myself about 40 bux or more in the process as well as local RRP seems to be higher, so that's also good.
I'll have to spend some time setting that one up this weekend.

Lastly and I don't want to jinx it, but it looks like my Brittle Star might pull through. It's been moving around on the coral that I picked up last week, so it's still alive.
Fingers crossed I didn't allow something else into the tank though because I cut the dip short lol.
I found a brittle star in the love rock I got this week and tossed it into my tank. I'm just hoping it doesn't eat a fish!

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a brittle star in the love rock I got this week and tossed it into my tank. I'm just hoping it doesn't eat a fish!

LOL Mine's only a little baby, so it's got more of a chance of being eaten for a while to come I think before it's the other way around!

Looking at the dosing pump and the length of the line, I'm not quite sure yet how I'm going to manage it to reach the containers. Could potentially buy some smaller containers to put at the front of the sump so they're right there when you open the door.. or I could potentially drill through the side of the cabinet and run the tubes through it.
Was initially thinking I'd just use the containers that the product comes in and just drill a small hole in the lid to run the line.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL Mine's only a little baby, so it's got more of a chance of being eaten for a while to come I think before it's the other way around!

Looking at the dosing pump and the length of the line, I'm not quite sure yet how I'm going to manage it to reach the containers. Could potentially buy some smaller containers to put at the front of the sump so they're right there when you open the door.. or I could potentially drill through the side of the cabinet and run the tubes through it.
Was initially thinking I'd just use the containers that the product comes in and just drill a small hole in the lid to run the line.
I just run mine into the container it comes in. If you need more tube you can buy it at the LFS usually. Mine is 16 cents a foot at the store. But mine came with enough to reach bc I had go mount it above my tank since I dont have a sump. But it pumps about 4ft up from the container without any problems. Mine probably needs to be calibrated better but its kinda hard to do where mine sits. Its currently pumping more in than I need so I just lowered the number so instead of it pumping 5ml its pumping 3.5 and I think pumping closer to 5ml when it turns on. Ill eventually fix it.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just run mine into the container it comes in. If you need more tube you can buy it at the LFS usually. Mine is 16 cents a foot at the store. But mine came with enough to reach bc I had go mount it above my tank since I dont have a sump. But it pumps about 4ft up from the container without any problems. Mine probably needs to be calibrated better but its kinda hard to do where mine sits. Its currently pumping more in than I need so I just lowered the number so instead of it pumping 5ml its pumping 3.5 and I think pumping closer to 5ml when it turns on. Ill eventually fix it.
Yeah I haven't even popped open the app or anything just yet, kind of looking forward to it... kind of not to set it up :p.
I know I'll have to check my parameters for a few days too to make sure I'm dosing the right amount etc.

I'd like to keep the unit hidden inside the cabinet. If I can keep one end shorter (ie, the line from the unit into the sump, then I can likely extend the tubing a little further to the storage containers but will have to see how I get on with it haha.

Hopefully I can do it neatly.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I haven't even popped open the app or anything just yet, kind of looking forward to it... kind of not to set it up :p.
I know I'll have to check my parameters for a few days too to make sure I'm dosing the right amount etc.

I'd like to keep the unit hidden inside the cabinet. If I can keep one end shorter (ie, the line from the unit into the sump, then I can likely extend the tubing a little further to the storage containers but will have to see how I get on with it haha.

Hopefully I can do it neatly.
I hope u can do it neatly. Its not too bad. You'll just have to calibrate a few dosing pumps. Lol I need to check everything to make sure its not too high now bc of the over dosing I still do waterchanges so that helps I know.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope u can do it neatly. Its not too bad. You'll just have to calibrate a few dosing pumps. Lol I need to check everything to make sure its not too high now bc of the over dosing I still do waterchanges so that helps I know.

Had a quick look at local hardware store for some tubing and looks like they've got some clear 3m vinyl tube that seems cheap enough for 5m worth. Not sure if airline is the same as this stuff or if this is thicker, the LFS has airtube noted but I think it's more flimsy looking.

Yeah waterchanges will help for sure, I'm thinking about doing a larger than normal change today as it'll be the first time I've been able to do more than a 50L change in quite some time (total tank is around 250-260L-ish) so could potentially do a 75-100L change so more of it's fresh and then monitor the dosing etc from there.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a quick look at local hardware store for some tubing and looks like they've got some clear 3m vinyl tube that seems cheap enough for 5m worth. Not sure if airline is the same as this stuff or if this is thicker, the LFS has airtube noted but I think it's more flimsy looking.

Yeah waterchanges will help for sure, I'm thinking about doing a larger than normal change today as it'll be the first time I've been able to do more than a 50L change in quite some time (total tank is around 250-260L-ish) so could potentially do a 75-100L change so more of it's fresh and then monitor the dosing etc from there.
Airline tube should work theres also silicone tubing. I think mine came with silicone tubing but either should work. I was going to use my airline tubing if I needed to. Just gotta make sure its the right mm.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a sad day today, cleared out the livestock this morning and this evening was spent draining the tank and tearing down the system. Still a bit to do but this was a good chunk to get out of the way.

Wont be for too long hopefully and I'll start setting it all up again in a few weeks and start the process all over again !
This time it'll be set up in a more accessible area and be able to see it on all 3 sides :)

20220314_194338.jpg

20220314_203109.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back