Daunting Stock List for a 109 gallon peninsula tank - Clownfish harem, BS Jawfish, Gem tang, so much more | Help me out!

WarmSensations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am pretty new when it comes to fish and how they get along with each other in saltwater. I am most likely going to get the waterbox 4820 which is a 109 gallon peninsula tank. I have the following fish and inverts that Id like to get and want to know how the temperament would be and if they would all get along.

FIshInverts
15-25x clownfish2x fire shrimp
blue spot jawfish2x cleaner shrimp
gem tang3x blue tuxedo urchin
ruby dragonetconch
fathead anthiassnails
naoko wrasseclam
coral beautybrittle star
royal grammarock flower anemones
hawkfish
yellow pyramid butterflyfish

I plan on making this a mixed reef with some sps at the top and lps and softies towards the bottom. I know having a clown harem is quite the endeavor on its own but id like to incorporate other fish as well. I said 15-25 clowns because im not too sure yet. The gem tang I intend to get as a baby since my LFS had a few and I know a few local reefers who said they would buy me another one in exchange for mine when it grows larger. I am not adamant on getting all of the fish (although id like as many as possible) those are just the ones I like so id like to see which ones get along or don't so I can pick and choose. I also really want a big clam so it would be helpful if the fish didn't eat that or any of my inverts. Every fish I plan on getting as babies or the smallest I can to begin with, any help is appreciated, thanks! Im probably missing some stuff I should add but if you have any suggestions to fish or inverts I should add in that you think would help let me know!

I plan on having a rollermat, skimmer, and fuge for nutrients from the heavy feeding I plan on doing as well as an auto water change so everything shouldn't be too out of whack.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15-25 is a clownfish larvae rearing tank LOL. I would go for like 6 or maybe 8 at most. They will spread out most likely unless you get them young as an established group or siblings I would talk to local breeders about that.

The only real concerns I have would be the hawkfish with shrimp, and the bigger fish on the list. I am not really the "tang police" but are you sure you want a dinnerplate in that tank? If you want a tang why not one of the smaller ctenochaetus species? Also the pyramid butterflies are a schooling fish, so maybe it's not bad for it to be alone but it seems an odd choice, and it's also a pretty big an active fish for a tank that size.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauties might nip at clam mantles. It's not a guarantee, but angels are curious fish, and poke and prod at everything. And while they're gorgeous, other dwarves (equally peckish) have even more spectacular colouring, like the multicolor, flame, and ticiben angels. My coral beauty liked to hang around the back of the tank, and its dark colours made it fade away a lot of the time.

I'm just going to agree with everything already stated by @damsels are not mean: that's too many clownfish with the wrong tang in too small a tank. If you can get rid of the clownfish, make the tank a FOWLR (adding hardy corals over a period of time), and make additions on a timed, quarantined, schedule, I think you'd have a much greater chance of success.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back