Day 78 - Observations & Questions

splunty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first attempt at saltwater/reef, and my third thread on the topic. I thought I'd post an update with some observations and a handful more newbie questions.

TEST KITS

As a zillion threads already suggest, test kits (especially notoriously the API kits) are not exactly accurate.
Even inaccurate tests are already proving valuable for documenting trends.
I'm convinced the nitrite tests are pointless, but it doesn't hurt anything.
Does this look good? Is ALK going to be alright with only softies & livestock?
* Update: I'm doing a 2.5 gallon (about 20%) water change weekly. Tests are pre-change.
I'm assuming this hardness number from the test strip is useless. Do I care for softies anyway?

1706217556189.png

CLOWN FISH

Clown fish are insane.
Clown fish are always hungry.
At night, the clowns settle down in the front of the bare bottom. BJ (the larger) likes to lay sideways for some reason.
Should I try to close off some more dark areas for hiding? They seem to avoid the dark parts of the tank anyway and more or less host the front corner.

tank20240125.jpeg

SETUP

All of the flow is generated by a mightyjet 326 return with two nozzles. The shorter nozzle is creating surface agitation, while the longer one is creating a bit of rotational flow. Pretty much all of the detritus stays in the flow exits through the overflow. Right now, the GPH is about 240 in a 14 gallon tank. If I go any higher, the clowns struggle and won't even ask for food. (They are asking for food in the photo.) Any observations or suggestions?

The flow is mostly in a "circle" around the outside of the tank. Even still, the GSP whips pretty wildly. It doesn't seem to mind.

How's the rock placement look?

ADDITIONAL LIVESTOCK

In about 48 hours, the diatoms went from a couple of dark spots to completely covering all of the rockwork facing the light. Wanting to go slow, I added 3 nerite snails and they seem to be doing a good job of maintaining on their own. Is there any reason to add more or is it good enough to keep the diatoms under control like this?

At some point I would like to add a shrimp, more for eye candy than CuC utility. LFS has skunk cleaners & candy canes. Any comments or suggestions there? Are they going to be fine in the bare bottom? (There's a nice cave to hide in behind the rocks that the fish absolutely ignore.) Will the shrimp bother my dear clowns?

AND FINALLY, PESTS

I don't know how it was possible since I both inspected and dipped VERY aggressively, but a tiny aiptasia poked its nasty tendrils out from underneath the glued GSP after about a week. I'll spare the details of the operation, but I'm 99% sure the aiptasia has been eradicated from the display and by some miracle the GSP has not only survived, but seems to be thriving. A ~1cm section of GSP was separated from the colony, and I am trying to save it by attaching it to a rock with a rubber band. Will this work?

The GSP in that section is slightly bleached but I am hopeful. I did notice today that what looks like purple hair algae has appeared on the rock near the GSP and obviously needs attention. Should I pull the rock out and clean off this algae? Will the snails attack this? Should I just give up and say goodbye to this little baby frag?

algae.jpeg

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
splunty

splunty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL;DR if somebody can take a stab at these questions:

1) Is the "hardness" from the test strip in my spreadsheet meaningful? Should I take any action?
2) Is it okay to add a single shrimp to my bare bottom with 2 clowns?
3) Is the rubber-banded GSP in the bottom picture worth saving?
4) Is the string-like purple algae in the bottom picture something I need to remove by hand?

Thanks!

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can give my opinion on these :

2) I’m sure some people do it but I wouldn’t add a shrimp to a bare bottom tank. They need food in and on the sand and the purpose of having a barebottom is to have it spotless, isn’t it ?

3) GSP : I’ve added some to my tank when I started too. 2 years later, it was invading the tank (even though I was careful) so I had to remove the rock and scrape it. IMO GSP shouldn’t be in anyone’s tank unless you don’t mind it taking over.

If you want to save it, sure, go ahead. They’re almost impossible to kill.

4) If you can remove this algae, it might stop it from growing. I would remove it. I’ve never had any though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back