Day trip, multiple stores, take a cooler?

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not many LFS here in NW Indiana, so planning a day trip to west side of Chicago to hit up some LFS, with the wife. Going to try out a brewery or two while we hopefully find some new fish at these new stores. It’s just under a 2 hour drive home, plus shopping at all the stores and maybe a pit stop or two. It’s been religiously 90 degrees here every day, should I take a large cooler with me and some ice packs?
what the best practice of taking care of fish while taking hours to get from store to home?

wphan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooler and a ton of cold packs. Don’t keep them in direct sunlight.

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, be smart where you park as stated above watching the sun direction. Could leave the car running with A/C on depending on the area. I'm planning the same thing for next weekend but it will be an overnight for me due to the 10 hr drive home

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents (and I know nothing):
Temperature fluctuations are bad.

Better a consistent 82 in the bag than 85 to 75, back to 85.

Cooler packs may make it too cold, while ambient water temperature on a hot day will stay around 82 (?). I might just do cooler, no ice packs.

I would also say fish expedition or brewery adventure, maybe not both. If you do both, fish last. If fish stores first, and you see something you want, ask to buy (pay for) but pick up on your way home (before they close).

Also ask them to put fish in larger bag with extra air (explain the 2 hour ride home).

Good luck and have fun!!

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's 90s outside it will 100+ in your car. You could also use towels between the icepacks & fish bags or if you have some styrofoam that would be best.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I take styro, loose newspaper, ice pack and two frozen bottles of water.
BEFORE the bags go into the styro , I pull a water bottle which is ice cold and place in vehicle beverage holder to drink

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents (and I know nothing):
Temperature fluctuations are bad.

Better a consistent 82 in the bag than 85 to 75, back to 85.

Cooler packs may make it too cold, while ambient water temperature on a hot day will stay around 82 (?). I might just do cooler, no ice packs.

I would also say fish expedition or brewery adventure, maybe not both. If you do both, fish last. If fish stores first, and you see something you want, ask to buy (pay for) but pick up on your way home (before they close).

Also ask them to put fish in larger bag with extra air (explain the 2 hour ride home).

Good luck and have fun!!
Yes. This.^^ Maybe put an ice pack in the cooler before you buy fish, but pull it out when the livestock goes in. Also, factor in the time you'll spend acclimating etc... when you get home. My nearest LFS's are 2 hours away, and this is exactly how I plan out my day.

P.S. Use a very highly insulated cooler.

EDIT: Most LFS's have about a thousand styrofoam coolers that they will give you to transport your livestock. I've got a 3" thick styrofoam cooler that was originally used for steaks that goes on every trip to St Louis whether I plan to stop at the LFS or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HighChiefKC

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, first reef store I went to, automatically gave me a styrofoam cooler inside a cardboard box! Shout out to Reef Wise in Lisle, IL! Next store I went to, I had had them order me a blue throat trigger. It came in on Tuesday and was dead when I got there. Ended up getting a couple corals instead. All fish and corals made it safely home and are happy in their new setting!

OP
OP
HighChiefKC

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot to mention the beer....Brought home a 3 pack of crowlers from a local craft brewery and I put them in the cooler I brought with the ice packs I brought. Also it was way cooler out than it had been for weeks, it only got up to low 80s!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back