DE or SE ?

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am planning my upgrade to 250mh on my 90 gallon oceanic tech. Should i go with DE or SE ? it's a mixed reef now, want more sps in the tank. i have yet to see a thread on comparison between the two. if there is one , throw a link. let me know what you all think.

amore169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really go with SE, more light bulb options and a lot easier to replace, I have DE and I hate to replace them because u need to be really careful not to break the ends.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think that the SE gives you more glitter lines as well....I have seen both side by side and like the overall look of SE bulbs.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for se for the already mentioned reasons, biggest imo being bulb choice. de is very limited.

OP
OP
nater

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like SE it is. Can't wait. Any bulb suggestions also ? I will be going with vho acentics and maybe a reefbright or.. ? All input appreciated.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefbrite will take the place of vho actinics imo. there is NOTHING like them by way of flouerescent offerings IMHO - and i have been a long time vho super actinic user. plus with your actinic-only period you will get shimmer with the reefbrites. plus they last "forever" and have zero heat output.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DE like T5 is very dependent on the reflectors. SE is more lenient when it comes to reflector choice. I agree SE has more bulb choices. I used DE in a pendant over my frag tank, thats where the are nice, where a SE gets bulky in a pendant.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back