Dead coral colonized by another coral?

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen this before? I had an orange plating monti that died, and recently I have started seeing short neon green polyps popping out of it. It never had anything remotely green in it....is it possible for a dead/dying coral to get colonized by another? I did have a green pocillipora close to it, which also died, and I have heard that they can evacuate and turn up in unexpected places....

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definition of live rock.

My buddy got a (imported) bubble coral in with a tiny golden dot on it. The bubble since died but the tiny gold dot grew into a gold torch that is unique, and very cool.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, pocillipora will grow on a hotplate, much less another coral's skeleton, lol.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen this before? I had an orange plating monti that died, and recently I have started seeing short neon green polyps popping out of it. It never had anything remotely green in it....is it possible for a dead/dying coral to get colonized by another? I did have a green pocillipora close to it, which also died, and I have heard that they can evacuate and turn up in unexpected places....

Pocillopora recruit probably settled out there. As mentioned above, they'll settle anywhere. This is why I don't keep
damicornis in any of my tanks.

damicornis.JPG

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back