Dead Flame Angelfish

adamfajge

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flame Angel died after 1 week. He was only staying in the back of the tank where it was very hard to see him and would not eat any prepared foods. I have now 2 Oscellaris Clowns, a Mandarin, and a BiColor Blenny. I can either add 1 more fish that is compatible or remove the mean large Clown and add 2 compatible fish. What should I do and what fish? My tank is 2 years old and all parameters are good.
Thanks,
Adam

BuyTheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Clowns but as they get old they get very mean and protective. Mine used to come and try to nip at me. It didnt hurt but it scared me when i forgot about him haha. I would say remove the clown but that is just me. Did he end up hurting the flame or not? He may have been chased by the clown and to stressed to eat. Flames can be a little tricky sometimes.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You said the fish died after 1 week. Was that one week home from the fish store, or one week out of a qt tank?

How big is your tank?

OP
OP
adamfajge

adamfajge

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame Angelfish

I never qt'd the fish. He was in my tank for a week. NOw I got a BiColor Blenny 2 weeks ago and I have noticed the clown chase him but he does not go into the back of the tank. Maybe I got a sick Angel. If I got rid of the clown I would probably get a Fairy Wrasse and one more fish just not sure. My tank is 46 gallons w/60LBS of LR
Adam

Last edited:
OP
OP
adamfajge

adamfajge

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead Flame Angel

I cant rearrange the rock I have too many corals nicely attached. Now the Angel is dead anyway so I think before I pay money for a new fish I should better guarantee he will do good by removing the mean Clown so give me so good ideas for a 4th and 5th fish. I'll probably add a cool wrasse. Give me ideas then for a 5th fish. I have the mandarin and a Bicolor Blenny.
Thanks,
Adam

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Before you add any more fish get a q-tank.
You are going to end up losing all of them if yor not carefull.

OP
OP
adamfajge

adamfajge

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead Flame Angel

I know I should get a qt tank but I really don't have any room. I have 2 little kids. The stores where I buy my fish from I have never had a problem with the fishes health. I think taking out the Clown will be my only option if I want any other fish and not have to worry about stress.
Adam

OP
OP
adamfajge

adamfajge

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish

I have decided to put the large female Clown in my in-tank refugium which he could be there for maybe a week just to see if the other clown still eats and acts normal and if he does then I will remove the large clown give back to LFS and get a Fairy Wrasse. Fairy Wrasses are very peaceful and my Clown could give it a heart attack. I figure that my Flame Angel that dies probably did not pick on any corals because he wasn't eating at all. No more Flame Angels.
Adam

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It could have just been a sickly FA as well.

OP
OP
adamfajge

adamfajge

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was a sick Anglel but chance are that if it was not sick it micht have picked on the corals?
Adam

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to pass on the advice given me, if you intend to keep fairy wrasse, apparently you have to hace a covered tank because they are known jumpers. That is what discouraged me personally from getting one in the end. I hope you can sort everything out. You have a beautiful tank by the way :)

OP
OP
adamfajge

adamfajge

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You for the compliment as you know its a lot of work. I once had a Orange Back Fairy Wrasse and he never tried to jump at all perfect fish One day he went into the back of the tank and I did not see him till I found him dead. I had him and the clownfish for about 6 months till he did that. Not really sure if it was just his time to go or he couldn't take the harrassment from the Clown

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, if you let the lights off the first day, and low the second, it helps also! I didn't have a refugium/hospital tank for a while; when I started my big tank, because of the cost and room, but when I would add a fish, I'd turn the lights down for a day or so, and it seemed to help!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back