Dead mall

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where I live they have already torn down one (Amazon building distribution center on site), one circling the drain (crime and declining neighborhood), one is doing well, and one is thriving and much more upscal.e.

I worked for several years at the one they tore down. It went from doing great to terrible in a span of maybe five years. Sad.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Malls are going under in general. Not to far from this one is another mall that’s thriving. I like talking my son to this one because I can just let him loose and he can pretty much do what ever he wants. The neighborhood is good so no worries there.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a dead mall in Rutland, VT. Diamond Run mall closed this year.The two bookend end stores were Sears and Kmart. It was built in the 1990's. It is actually a good location, up on a hill off the strip with plenty of parking. Just at the bottom of the hill you have all the other shopping options that the mall didn't have, Staples, Petco, Hannaford's supermarket, Dick's, Bed, Bath and Beyond and plenty of gas/food options. Considering our Walmart is in a different part of the city and in a downtown area with more traffic/parking issues, that probably didn't lend to the demise. There was actually talk of a warehouse style store taking over like Cosco or BJ's but they wanted to build it off the hill near the other stores.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the stores (staples) that’s left actually blocked off the entrance from in the mall and put a sign that says you have to go in from outside. I’m sure this place isn’t going to be open much longer.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains”

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Malls are going under in general. Not to far from this one is another mall that’s thriving. I like talking my son to this one because I can just let him loose and he can pretty much do what ever he wants. The neighborhood is good so no worries there.

Looks like he could have some fun with a skateboard in there!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is becoming commonplace. We have 7 malls in Southeast , WI and 3 are gone with a 4th about to fall down with few stores remaining.
The biggest problem many stores face is the Out of control cost per square foot to rent and then have to pay common area maintenance, whereas a 3000 sq ft store will cost over $5000 a month not including payroll, insurance, utilities and theft. Bottom line a store has to sell $7000 of goods BEFORE it sees a profit.(NUTS-Yes)
Then these very stores have incorporated On-line sales/shopping allowing customers to stay home rather than visiting the stores which has an impact in customer traffic and instore sales.

wrasse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I can’t stand going to the mall anyways. Its way easier to shop online theses days. Throw in the the whole soft target thing, flash mobs, car jackings, and overall threat of random violence ie: that poor kid being thrown from the balcony at mall of America. No thanks. I am more o f a targeted shopper anyways, if I need a pair of pants, I go in directly to the pants section find what I want, try them on, ensuring that I haven’t gotten too fat, and get out. I usually know exactly what I want, so the internet works best for my shopping needs.

I get it things are changing, change is tough. I’m sure it was the same when they started pulling up all the hitching posts for parking spaces sucked too.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of medical offices are moving into vacant mall space. It's cheap space for the doctors, and the mall operators hope people coming in for medical appointments will do some shopping while they're there. See: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/23/business/mall-of-america-health-clinic/index.html

Mine actually moved....eye doctor(Lenscrafters) it was one of the few shops remaining at the mall. I just got a card in the mail from them saying I should visit them at their other location in another state hours away.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this is becoming more and more common unfortunately. Not just malls but all brick and mortar stores. Even stores like Best Buy will be in trouble.....people go there to look at potential purchases then go home and buy on Amazon for less money.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say that looks like the mall a few blocks from me until you said the neighborhood is good, cause that neighborhood is not good.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really sad cause I enjoy actually looking at the product, holding it, reading the box, maybe play with it a little before I buy. And asking questions in person. Christmas shopping used to be a fun experience but now it's just a chore.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks like the mall closest to me too. I miss shopping and people watching.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I buy a lot of stuff online myself. The only reason I go is to let my son ride the elevators and escalators. He loves them both.

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this is becoming more and more common unfortunately. Not just malls but all brick and mortar stores. Even stores like Best Buy will be in trouble.....people go there to look at potential purchases then go home and buy on Amazon for less money.

Best buy price matches amazon, so they are usually the same price point already and if not they will match it.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best buy price matches amazon, so they are usually the same price point already and if not they will match it.
That is true.....but when you are buying a TV that won't fit in your car, it is much easier to have it delivered to your doorstep....most of the time, free of charge.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true.....but when you are buying a TV that won't fit in your car, it is much easier to have it delivered to your doorstep....most of the time, free of charge.

We went mall shopping the other day, made a day out of it, went to dinner and a movie. We bought a blanket at Bed Bath and Beyond for one niece. A few day later we were thinking of buying one for our other niece. We could have driven down to another B, B and B just for the blanket......I found it at Amazon for about a $1 cheaper and with a great selection of colors. Check that gift off the list.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back