Dealing with GHA around fragile corals - What I've done and what are my next steps

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I have a 20g long tank and I'm loving it, my tank has been up and running since February of 2021. I've lost about three corals, a sand sifting star, three fish, and two emerald crabs since the start of my tank. I'm afraid I'm going to lose more of my corals, because of gha and I've been trying to fix the issue for several weeks now. I've hand picked, dipped some of my rocks in hydrogen peroxide, and reduced feeding to once every other day. I am seeing some results on hand picking and I'm continuing to do it every water change. Although, I have some fragile corals that I cannot do that with(Juicy Fruit Pipe Organ). I've recently have been seeing that dosing magnesium can help get the harder to reach GHA solved, so that it what I'm doing next.

I'll take pictures and update this post with my tank and my lighting/flow patterns from my AI prime/Nero this evening when I'm home.

Livestock:

2 Oco clowns
Blood Shrimp
Hermit
Naus snails
Tuxedo Urchin
Passed :(
Spotted Goby
Orange Spotted Goby
Mandarin Dragonet - most impactful after having him do so well for a year

Corals:
Zoa garden attempt
Honeycomb Leptastrea
Juicy Fruit Pipe Organ - Getting choked out by gha
Superman Montipora
Platinum Halo Monitpora
Orange Polyp Monitpora
Christmas Favia
Green Candy Cane
Purple Tip Hammer
Green Star Polyps - Getting choked out by gha

Passed Corals:
Rainbow Polillopora
Green Star Polyps 1st attempt
Zoa variant

Questions:
1.) Does anyone else have experience with dosing magnesium to solve gha issues in nano tanks? I've never dosed it or tested for it, but I have ordered the Salifert mag test kit and Kent's Tech M Magnesium.

2.) Filtration, from bottom to top, mesh bag with filter media, fine foam, medium foam, coarse foam stacked on top of each other, then on top is just some rocks to keep everything down. Do you think that these are just waste factories that could be some of the cause of all the GHA? What do you think about filter floss and changing it out frequently?

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs, long spine urchin, manual removal, vibrant, lower nitrates and phosphates, Feed less, Blackout lights for 3 days

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can post your parameters and a tank pic when you have a chance?

There are lots of ways to solve green hair algae. Magnesium might be one of those ways, but I never heard of it.

How often do you clean out your foam pads? They will hold solid foods and the foods will break down into nitrate to feed the algae.

OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7158.jpg
IMG_7159.jpg
IMG_7159.jpg

OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can post your parameters and a tank pic when you have a chance?

There are lots of ways to solve green hair algae. Magnesium might be one of those ways, but I never heard of it.

How often do you clean out your foam pads? They will hold solid foods and the foods will break down into nitrate to feed the algae.
Done, I clean out my pads once every 2-3 water changes

OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I have a 20g long tank and I'm loving it, my tank has been up and running since February of 2021. I've lost about three corals, a sand sifting star, three fish, and two emerald crabs since the start of my tank. I'm afraid I'm going to lose more of my corals, because of gha and I've been trying to fix the issue for several weeks now. I've hand picked, dipped some of my rocks in hydrogen peroxide, and reduced feeding to once every other day. I am seeing some results on hand picking and I'm continuing to do it every water change. Although, I have some fragile corals that I cannot do that with(Juicy Fruit Pipe Organ). I've recently have been seeing that dosing magnesium can help get the harder to reach GHA solved, so that it what I'm doing next.

I'll take pictures and update this post with my tank and my lighting/flow patterns from my AI prime/Nero this evening when I'm home.

Livestock:

2 Oco clowns
Blood Shrimp
Hermit
Naus snails
Tuxedo Urchin
Passed :(
Spotted Goby
Orange Spotted Goby
Mandarin Dragonet - most impactful after having him do so well for a year

Corals:
Zoa garden attempt
Honeycomb Leptastrea
Juicy Fruit Pipe Organ - Getting choked out by gha
Superman Montipora
Platinum Halo Monitpora
Orange Polyp Monitpora
Christmas Favia
Green Candy Cane
Purple Tip Hammer
Green Star Polyps - Getting choked out by gha

Passed Corals:
Rainbow Polillopora
Green Star Polyps 1st attempt
Zoa variant

Questions:
1.) Does anyone else have experience with dosing magnesium to solve gha issues in nano tanks? I've never dosed it or tested for it, but I have ordered the Salifert mag test kit and Kent's Tech M Magnesium.

2.) Filtration, from bottom to top, mesh bag with filter media, fine foam, medium foam, coarse foam stacked on top of each other, then on top is just some rocks to keep everything down. Do you think that these are just waste factories that could be some of the cause of all the GHA? What do you think about filter floss and changing it out frequently?

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I’d manually remove that then siphon it out. Then use vibrant. And upgrade cleanup crew.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back