Deciding if I should enter the hobby and feeling overwhelmed with information

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You already took the first step to be successful IMO- thinking about an asking questions!!!! For me it’s gathering information digesting the knowledge obtained and than comes the most difficult part to actually doing (and yes I will make mistakes). It took me almost six month to decide the switch from a freshwater build to saltwater. I’m still a newbie this can’t give much technical advice - The best I can tell you is at some point put all doubt aside and spring into action and execute the plan you come up with and take things one at a time.

Last edited:

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget will of course limit what you can do, but I think you're aware and thinking correctly. And asking for advice puts you way ahead of most.

Everyone has commented on planning and going slow and patience.

I'd add that you may want to take a look at some of the videos out there and tank builds that stress simplicity and low cost. Also search on softie and 40 gallon breeder - that will give you a pretty good reference as that's the most common starter setup. The really impressive ones are run by reeefers with a lot of common sense and budget in mind without going to extremese on maintenance. And to be honest, some of those put my high dollar living room piece of furniture setup to shame....for now. ;)

Good luck!

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have half a mind to say "Don't do it!". It's kinda like getting a tattoo. If you're wondering if you should get it or not, you shouldn't get it.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Windows aren't the end of the world. I mean, don't put the tank directly in front of one. Other than that, shades or curtains are fine.

U sound like u may want to progress beyond your initial plan. All in ones are pricey if u plan to outgrow it in 2 yrs.

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its like a Puzzle. Once you get started, it all starts to make sense and then you find yourself figuring things out. As Flippers questioned, the Kitchen is the LAST place I would place a tank due to sudden temperature changes from cooking/baking not to mention the atmospheric grease and fumes.
Rub your finger across the top of stove panel or the hood and toaster oven in your pic and that would be the same substance that would land on and in your tank.
In the pic there is a door and hallway I see? That would be a good spot although the ideal location is Living room or where you spend the most time allowing you to enjoy the beauty of the ocean in your home.
“Its like a puzzle” is the perfect way to describe this hobby.

ZLE-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been out of the hobby for about 11 years due to Military moving around. I recently got back into it with a decent size 70g. Most important thing I can tell you is, don’t rush and research. Education make you smarter.

OP
OP
H

hominamad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone - I wasn't expecting to get so many replies in such a short time. All incredibly helpful and encouraging advice. I guess I will not use that as the location for the tank. One of the reasons I liked it there was because we also spend a ton of time in the kitchen together - maybe more than any other room. It was always fun eating our meals together and watching the fish in the tank right in front of us.

I'm going to try to scout out other locations. It's good to know that being near a window isn't a deal breaker - I suppose if it's not really getting direct sun there.

Do you think that 30 gallons is a decent size to start out with? I'm also somewhat confused by a lot of conflicting advice about live rock. A lot of people say to get all live rock, and even go as far as saying that with that you don't even really need a filtration system, but I find that hard to believe. Also after reading about all the kinds of organisms that hitchike their way in on them, it seems that dry rock may be safer?

I also noticed a lot of conflicting advice about a sump system. Is it a requirement or no? What is the advantage of having that? It definitely seems to add a level of complexity I don't know if I want to take on from the beginning or not.

Another thing I was reading about was quarantine tanks, etc. I totally understand the reason for them, but does this mean I need to have a whole additional setup somewhere that is maintained similarly etc? Not sure if I have the room for that! Is that also a requirement to have?

As far as budget, I don't really know or have one exactly. I don't want to go overboard, but I also don't want to buy crap that will break down or need to be upgraded immediately either. Of course I would like to go on a path where I can gradually expand and upgrade, rather than spending 1000's of dollars all up front.

Thanks again for the tipsl

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't NEED a filtration system but unless you plan on doing water changes (which need more salt) you need some sort of nutrient export system. If you didn't have any filter or do any water changes, you would just get a bunch of nuisance algae which you could remove by hand but it's still gonna look bad most the time.

You don't need a quarantine tank unless you have lots of high-value fish in your tank already. In my opinion. Then you cannot just simply throw new fish in cuz they could bring a disease of course.

I definitely understand your sentiments about sumps. I was the same way. I first bought a HOB refugium but it wasn't good enough for me, so eventually I upgraded to a sump. Central to my nutrient reduction plan is to have a large refugium with chaeto and a good light.

Of course, the thing about not getting what you need up front is that you end up having to spend more money to constantly upgrade. Like me with my HOB fuge. That thing wasn't cheap and now it's almost useless to me although I do still kinda use it.

If I had it to do over again (Which is a HUGE "if" after being financially decimated by this hobby!) I would probably get as big of a tank as I could with a stand and I'd make sure it was already drilled, for a sump. And make sure it already has an overflow box in it. That would be a great start. Then I'd be sure to get a gyre, I much prefer those to powerheads for your flow.

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But obviously I'm talking about at least a 40 gallon system. IMO if you're gonna do saltwater at least get 40 gallons. Bigger aquariums are more stable, so bigger is better in more ways than just the looks of it.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Starting a new tank is overwhelming -- especially when it is your first go round. First of all, what state do you live in? Check out to see if there are local reefing clubs in your area. You can generally just Google this information. I haven't seen this posted yet, but you will want to read this:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/ . Read the other articles listed above in this forum as well. You will find lots of information there. Feel free to ask questions. Every single one of us has started out as a new saltwater aquarist at some point in our lives. We all have made mistakes, and we all have learned from them. The members of this forum are willing to jump in and help, but you have to ask -- no matter how silly it sounds. Also, you can search previous threads by clicking on Search Forums above, and then type in your subject. Everything previously discussed about that topic will pop up. Do this a little at a time and read on one subject at a time. The BRS 52 weeks of reefing is a good place to start for a video series. I'm glad you joined us!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If you’re going to do a 30g tank, for similar dimensions, you might as well do a 40 breeder

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too was also very overwhelmed with the task of getting into a potentially complex hobby like this. I also had not clue where to start. I couldn't find any real good resources that walked me through the process...until I found the BRS 160 video series. I consumed those videos as fast as I could and have probably watched the entire series about 3 times through.

It answered a lot of my questions, demystified the hobby, and got me so much more excited about jumping in.

Yes! This is what I was going to recommend as well.

I started my first salt tank in 2001, but after several years off I even used that series to help get my head back in the game. There can be a lot to learn/remember, that's for sure.

Welcome!!!

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sump actually simplifies the tank's operation. What's in a typical hang on back filter... a small pump, some mesh, and maybe some porous area for bacteria to colonize. That's precisely what a sump is, except it's bigger and more open. Sure, a sump can have a skimmer as well, but it doesn't have to.

You may never need more than that in your sump, but you have the ability to add and subtract much more easily. There's also the benefit of increased water volume and stability.

The thing is, once you've gone to the trouble of plumbing a sump, drilling a tank, and devoting at least a corner of a room to it, you immediately wonder "why didn't I just get a bigger tank?"

You said, " I do want something that I can expand on and would be concerned about getting stuck if I want to advance further." If that's your main goal, I'd go sump and one of the popular modular lights. If you move up to a bigger tank, u can add a light, but a lot of your hardware will transfer. There's no real "upgrade" for a biocube or a tank with hob filter. When you've moved beyond it, you have to buy a whole new setup.

OP
OP
H

hominamad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose if I may as well go with a 40 gallon in that case. Can anyone tell me if this kit/combo looks like it could be a good starting point for me?

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose if I may as well go with a 40 gallon in that case. Can anyone tell me if this kit/combo looks like it could be a good starting point for me?

Holy cow that's a lot of stuff! Can they even fit that into one box? Hard to go too wrong with BRS, but I'd still caution against not getting a sump. When you finally figure out that next thing you want, the sump gives you plenty of room to upgrade, not to mention more water volume. It's like you're asking if you should get a gaming laptop and I'm telling you to just get a tower. More customizable and ready for more upgrades.

If you want to keep it simple, you don't even need anything in the sump. As long as you have a return pump and an overflow...at least you're set up for the future. Lol.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

To be completely honest with you... You can make this hobby as difficult/expensive as you wish. It is completely normal to feel overwhelmed by all the information available. But you can just stick to the essentials and learn along the way. sticking to the essentials in the beginning makes it an enjoyable hobby.

What you need?
30 gallon acrylic/glass box
Good quality water (RO/DI preferred)
A good light if you want to keep some corals
A filter fitting your 30 gallon
Heater
Some flow (could even be your filter output)
Rock
Ammonia source
Time

Just remember that in the end all the equipment that exists is made to maintain good quality water. No need to buy all this equipment( skimmer = debatable, media reactors, automatic dosers, auto top-off )if you start off with a simple easy setup. (Hardy soft corals, hardy fish).

In the end you put good saltwater in your tank, you throw in something that can decay or ammonia. After this you just test the water and act accordingly. Just make sure the tank has cycled completely before you add anything. Water can’t be killed ;)

Don’t get scared by all these people that will tell you what to buy. You will look at your tank and know when something is wrong quite fast.

if you like it you will end up with a big tank and all this fancy equipment anyway... So no need to buy it for your 30 gallon.

Enjoy the hobby!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back