Decompression Illness

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kmst80
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kmst80

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 27, 2021
Messages
995
Reaction score
1,218
Location
Ipswich, Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a local Lfs today to acquire a genicanthus bellus. As I am fully aware of the part of the ocean they live in and the possible collection impact of retrieving the fish from deeper waters, I watched the fish for a while. I saw a fish swimming in a jaggered way, not smooth, head was tilted slightly downwards and the fish would surface infrequently. This led me to the assumption of decompression illness.
The fish has been 4 weeks in that tank and looked a bit thin too, lfs said she is eating.

If it is decompression sickness, is it treatable, is the fish doomed, should there be still signs after at least 4 weeks.

I walked away from it today coz it has a hefty price tag of nearly 500 bucks.

Any insight welcome.
 
Decompression is up to the fish. Thet tend to swim a little head-downwards but a video will help confirm if normal or not. Please use white lighting, No blue with video
 
Decompression is up to the fish. Thet tend to swim a little head-downwards but a video will help confirm if normal or not. Please use white lighting, No blue with video
I might visit the Lfs in a couple weeks again and see how she is doing. To far away to drive over to take a video now.
 
I went to a local Lfs today to acquire a genicanthus bellus. As I am fully aware of the part of the ocean they live in and the possible collection impact of retrieving the fish from deeper waters, I watched the fish for a while. I saw a fish swimming in a jaggered way, not smooth, head was tilted slightly downwards and the fish would surface infrequently. This led me to the assumption of decompression illness.
The fish has been 4 weeks in that tank and looked a bit thin too, lfs said she is eating.

If it is decompression sickness, is it treatable, is the fish doomed, should there be still signs after at least 4 weeks.

I walked away from it today coz it has a hefty price tag of nearly 500 bucks.

Any insight welcome.

I’d pass on that fish - let the store try to bring it back around. A little bobbing is common in this genus of fish due to how they are collected, but that combined with the fish having lost weight, you should pass on it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new