Decorative feather duster reproduction ? You done it yet?

Hairyteeth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 5, 2020
Messages
1,165
Reaction score
1,155
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up everyone,
Curious if anyone has ever gotten large feather dusters to reproduce in their tanks, I’m not talking about the little guys.
I’ve had one spawn in a tank before but it was the only one, and boy did it cloud the water 😂 talking kalk washer water like
I’ve just added 6 into my tank cause I wanted a garden of them, and got me wondering 🤔
Tell me your stories
 
If you’re talking about Sabella, Cocoworm or Christmas tree worms - that’s pretty rare in a closed system.

In fact, it’s the first time I’ve ever heard that it happened in captivity.
 
If you’re talking about Sabella, Cocoworm or Christmas tree worms - that’s pretty rare in a closed system.

In fact, it’s the first time I’ve ever heard that it happened in captivity.
Really? That’s kind of crazy, I’ve had my feather duster spawn, rock flowers spawn a few times and a torch lay eggs as well
 
It’s not rare to get coral spawning events in tanks, but it’s also uncommon when not catering for it.

Usually it requires seasonal lighting (which with some lights are enabled by default), with full darkness at sunset and sunrise for them to register the changes, as well as seasonal temperature swings (though seems like temperature isn’t always a requirement).

I have a friend that unintentionally spawns his acros and torches almost yearly because he has seasonal lighting enabled, and he’s blacking out his windows in the evening, till after sunrise hours.

That said, spawning feather dusters like Sabella, Cocoworms and Christmas tree worms in captivity isn’t well (or at all?) documented.
 
It’s not rare to get coral spawning events in tanks, but it’s also uncommon when not catering for it.

Usually it requires seasonal lighting (which with some lights are enabled by default), with full darkness at sunset and sunrise for them to register the changes, as well as seasonal temperature swings (though seems like temperature isn’t always a requirement).

I have a friend that unintentionally spawns his acros and torches almost yearly because he has seasonal lighting enabled, and he’s blacking out his windows in the evening, till after sunrise hours.

That said, spawning feather dusters like Sabella, Cocoworms and Christmas tree worms in captivity isn’t well (or at all?) documented.
Awesome thank you for the info, gonna have to set up some seasonal lighting, temps and maybe a moon simulator 😆
I’ve always wanted to….and well I have all the stuff, just been putting off the programming stuff f the apex for a while

Currently working on a rock flower garden and would like to see them spawn as well!

This morning it looks like I got baby trophy’s snails so at least the tank as right,

Maybe I’ll play sultry music on the full moon 😂
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new