Deer Antlers in a Reef?

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a handful of deer antler shot by my Great Granpa. Any reason I can’t add them to my DT? Thought it could be cool looking. No fur just antler, bone, whatever it’s made up of.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish might get gored? :)

I can't think of any reason unless they were randomly contaminated while hanging around the garage. Rinse one well and toss it in!

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t. Bone (and I assume antler) isn’t as inert as you think and it will still rot and break down to some degree.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, antlers are actually just bone. So I guess mostly calcium based. I am just giving my opinion but I’d think if they’ve been dried for years, they’re just Tonga branch now. I’d soak them in SW for some time beforehand to let anything weird leech out.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw on that popular tv show about building fish TANKS (get it?) That they made a mold from real antlers for a country music singer's tank. They mentioned in that episode that the antlers would leach something into the water, but I dont remember what exactly it was.

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antler is a simple extension of bone so it is a calcium phosphate matrix of hydroxyapatite integrated with smaller amounts of calcium carbonate. Antlers are made through mineralization and ossification. During mineralization, deposits of calcium and phsphorous form in layers over cartilage. During ossification, these layers harden into bone......very similar to human bone. There's nothing harmful in them, however they aren't inert and will leach calcium and phsphorous. The ideal range of phosphorus in saltwater reef aquaria is extremely low, at 0 to 30 parts per billion. There would be no way to tell how much phosphorous will leach and at what rate. To be on the safe side, I would leave them out.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antler is a simple extension of bone so it is a calcium phosphate matrix of hydroxyapatite integrated with smaller amounts of calcium carbonate. Antlers are made through mineralization and ossification. During mineralization, deposits of calcium and phsphorous form in layers over cartilage. During ossification, these layers harden into bone......very similar to human bone. There's nothing harmful in them, however they aren't inert and will leach calcium and phsphorous. The ideal range of phosphorus in saltwater reef aquaria is extremely low, at 0 to 30 parts per billion. There would be no way to tell how much phosphorous will leach and at what rate. To be on the safe side, I would leave them out.

DD953C9A-34E0-4E90-A73B-24958F1EF9F9.gif

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe find a way to mount them to the wall above the tank? Idk that I'd add them into the tank. If it's something that was passed onto you by your grandfather, I'd hate for something to happen to them after you add them to the tank :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is an interesting idea. Not one I've heard of anyone trying before.

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe find a way to mount them to the wall above the tank? Idk that I'd add them into the tank. If it's something that was passed onto you by your grandfather, I'd hate for something to happen to them after you add them to the tank :)
Grandpa killed a lot of animals in his day, he at one point held the record for biggest roosevelt elk ever shot. Good guy unless you were furry had four legs and antlers. Maybe I’ll break out the old “garage test tank” again.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grandpa killed a lot of animals in his day, he at one point held the record for biggest roosevelt elk ever shot. Good guy unless you were furry had four legs and antlers. Maybe I’ll break out the old “garage test tank” again.
I gotta ask, how big of elk? :)

welshd24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a handful of deer antler shot by my Great Granpa. Any reason I can’t add them to my DT? Thought it could be cool looking. No fur just antler, bone, whatever it’s made up of.
They actually tried this in the tv showed tanked and it messed with the ph when they tested it

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, I’ll ask my uncle he has the rack.
Tracking down this rack is proving to be harder to find than I thought. Uncles, cousins, aunts, dogs, friends, neighbors,..... but now I’m determined to find these antlers... TBD

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe use a nice clear coat like the polygem they use on the TV show mentioned above that way it's still your grandpa's antlers but that should protect it from breaking down

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back