Deflated acans

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I never got a real answer the last time and ended up losing my micromussa so I’m hoping some one can help this time around and figure this out. As always I appreciate any advice. So as of like 15 minutes ago my acan began looking like the previous and is looking deflated. While trying to shake something off the zoa before I fragged it, I noticed the turbulent water made it swell back up. Could I need Toni crease flow to it? I don’t get why it’s one at a time, my other acans look terrific. Like 10 days ago I began topping off with kalk in order to raise my ph from 7.67 -7.7 to where it needs to be. Currently I am at 7.9 but it has also brought my alk up from 8.5-8.8 to just around 9.4. Calcium is great at 460 and mag is right at 1320-1340 per salifert and Red Sea. Water changes are every 3-5 days.
When the ph was low, it seemed like things were steady and growing but not like they should of been. I wanted to at least hover around 8-8.1 at the least. To be honest I believe the micro deflating was what triggered me to begin addressing the ph, can’t remember it has been a long month. Thank you in advance and I appreciate any and all help

Keith

D63EF2C4-B3B7-4557-B683-463C92B5F629.jpeg

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be very hard to pinpoint your problem because you have so many things going on, went from high cal low alk to high cal high alk, alkalinity spikes, pH spikes don't help. The frequency of water changes might not be helping either unless they are being parameter matched.

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium hasn’t changed, that’s remained consistent. Everything else was consistent, including ph. If the alkalinity went from 8.8 to 8.5 I dosed esv to bring it back up to 8.8. The magnesium usually always sits right at that range. Are you saying I brought the alkalinity and Ph up to quickly?

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons?
Kalk, as you are finding out isn't a good way to adjust ph unless you have a certain ammount of calcium and alkalinity consumption. You may have to explore other option to solve your low ph like fresh air or media.

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy at the lfs was all about it lol. What would be the best way to bring that ph up without slamming the alk all the way up? Will dosing kalk continually raise the alk or will it plateau aT some point?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium hasn’t changed, that’s remained consistent. Everything else was consistent, including ph. If the alkalinity went from 8.8 to 8.5 I dosed esv to bring it back up to 8.8. The magnesium usually always sits right at that range. Are you saying I brought the alkalinity and Ph up to quickly?
Ph went from 7.6 to 8.1 and alk from 8.5 to 9.4 right? if done quickly yes this can momentarily stress a few corals.

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were you running them under? I have the xr15pro and I’m running it on the LPS and they are at the bottom ish of my frag tank

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back