Deflating candy cane

raphgiroux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there, and thanks for hearing my all time first post on this forum!

Exactly a month ago I had a thriving reef and a cute candy cane, a well established bird of paradise and blue stylo.
But my parameters were a little off, phosphates being at 0.9 and nitrates at 0.00.
I made some research and asked questions at my LFS then bought PhosBan-L from Two Little Fishies.
(Consider i'm a newbie in reefing, being a Discus breeder first). My tank is two years old but encountered some problems by the way...

So I added the recommended dose of Phosban-L without thinking about progressing. So, the day after, my phosphates went down to 0.30.
Then, my Sea Hare was found dead and my bird of paradise closed it's polyps, my cane deflated too.

As of today, my cane is still deflated but not dead, my stylo is nearlybeached out and my bird of paradise is loosing polyps slowly.

I dose Red SeaEnergy AB+ daily, use some reef roid and polyp boosters 2x/week, weekly WC of 10%, nitrates are still at 0.00 (i'm looking for a way to safely rise it up to 5ppm?! ) and phosphates at 0.30.

Every other corals are really thriving...

Is there some help I can bring to my corals? I would like to save my cane and bop too. i brought them down to lower light to help them out and raised my bop slowly day to day toit's old location...

Here's a photo of my candy cane for reference...

Thank you all, all I want is a thriving system!

candycane_deflate.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,welcome to the reef.. :)
1st i would say yes need to raise nitrates ,lil extra feeding,jmo..but can dump skimmate back in to system a couple of times 3 days apart,does "dirty" the water a bit.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya if that nitrate number is accurate that is not good and focus on that. As for the phosphate in my experience rapid reduction is not a good thing even if it is quite high. I just use lanthium chloride when necessary to lower them, but i do a small fraction of the recommended dose. I test the next day and if it declined at all i keep using that dose, otherwise i will very slowly raise it.

OP
OP
raphgiroux

raphgiroux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend something other than feeding for nitrates?

Thanks for the answers guys, helping me a lot!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just let rise slowly,my opinion no fix in a bottle.. :)

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you bring up the nitrates the phosphates will drop. Especially if you have macro algae.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back