OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty new to the world of Acros; my Miyagi Tort and Pacman both seem to show their best polyp extension about an hour after the lights go out. Is this normal, or are they telling me something?

Birdsnest and montis have great daytime PE, it's just the Acros which seem to get more extended at night.

edit: Just read this thread, some good knowledge on this site!

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty new to the world of Acros; my Miyagi Tort and Pacman both seem to show their best polyp extension about an hour after the lights go out. Is this normal, or are they telling me something?

Birdsnest and montis have great daytime PE, it's just the Acros which seem to get more extended at night.

edit: Just read this thread, some good knowledge on this site!
That’s normal.. if you start feeding during the day with reef roids or something similar you’ll start to see more pe durning the day.. higher ph seems to bring them out more also.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going through some pain with my “pointy” Birdsnests. Two of them just seem to be burning up. Made a thread in the SPS forum but thought I would document it here to look back on.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going through some pain with my “pointy” Birdsnests. Two of them just seem to be burning up. Made a thread in the SPS forum but thought I would document it here to look back on.
I have 3 birdsnest two from the same frag. One of the double frags is not doing well The others all doing awesome. Funny thing is they are in the same tank.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 birdsnest two from the same frag. One of the double frags is not doing well The others all doing awesome. Funny thing is they are in the same tank.
Mine are right beside my Miyagi and Pac-Man Acros, which are supposed to be so much harder, but those are doing great.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks lookin' great El Duderino. I need to get my stuff grown or I'm gonna be left in the dust. I jacked my lights up to 480 par at the top of the rocks because of your updates. I have another 25% left in the reefbreeders. Eventually all these acros are going to start growing. Until then, I get to live vicariously through your tank.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say from personal experience…. I’ve kept the hardest of the hardest acros and have some now, but I’ve always lost my birds nest haha! I think I fry them with such high lighting idk what the dealio is.. I gave up on them

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say from personal experience…. I’ve kept the hardest of the hardest acros and have some now, but I’ve always lost my birds nest haha! I think I fry them with such high lighting idk what the dealio is.. I gave up on them
I've actually had a lot of posters say that in the last couple days, especially the "pointy" ones. The type with the more visible, rounded polyp pattern seem to be easier; that style is still doing well in my tank.

Oh well!

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see them, but I took my 1st crack at “fragging” mushrooms yesterday - didn’t actually cut them down the middle, but removed the babies that were being shadowed by the parents.

There are 6 in all - 3x Disco Red Riding Hood, 1x gold Rhodactis, 1x orange rim Rhodactis, 1x Forest Fire Rhodactis.

Will post comparison pics as they get older.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see them, but I took my 1st crack at “fragging” mushrooms yesterday - didn’t actually cut them down the middle, but removed the babies that were being shadowed by the parents.

There are 6 in all - 3x Disco Red Riding Hood, 1x gold Rhodactis, 1x orange rim Rhodactis, 1x Forest Fire Rhodactis.

Will post comparison pics as they get older.
What did you use to get them off the rocks?

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to get them off the rocks?

I used a scalpel I got from an Ocean Wonders fragging kit I picked up a while back.

Pressed the blade as tight to the rock as I could and tried to make 1 clean cut each time. Unforuntely for the first one, it was a learning experience...Big bertha, my 6" green disco, well...her baby might not make it.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good lookin tank... Hows that Nero 3 on the back wall treating you?

I have a MP10 on left panel... But that Nero placement is enticing.

I had mine on the side wall, but it always drove me a bit crazy, because it meant my highest flow stuff needed to be on that side, even if I wanted them more in the middle where the lights overlap. It also concerned me that when it was on the side near the back, it created a weird flow which pushed in-water debris away from the overflows.

Couldn't really have it at the front either, because then it wouldn't be hammering any of the SPS. The Nero lacks the nice forward/reverse pulse that the MP10 can do (from what I've read), so instead you have to set up a wave pattern, and the back flow is just created by energy behind the waves. Not as good, but for now, I am happy.

It's also just kind of nice to remove one thing from the side of the tank! My little mushroom box is enough.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back