delete

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna have to take some notes on this. Very similar setup to my own except I have the 40g im. What settings are you using on your lights? I just got the second AI Prime in today. One was ok but there are definite shadows on the edge.

I ended up taking the return flow nozzles off entirely on my tank because my dwarf ceriths would repeatedly get stuck and die in the end of it. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the skimmer? Do you feel like it's helpful and worth the cost?
So it came down to the MiniQ and the AquaMax HOB 1.5, both get great reviews. My biggest concern with the Aquamax was that it's pulling water out of the tank, and it just felt riskier. I do think the 1.5 is a clear upgrade.

However, the MiniQ does it's job. I need to use some foam and floss to stop the microbubbbles, but I can live with that Since using it, my pH has been more settled, and it does skim pretty well. For $90 CAD, I feel it was worth it.

There is a part of me that wonders if I should convert that section to a fuge or even just LR to help keep the pod population up, but for now, I am happy.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So it came down to the MiniQ and the AquaMax HOB 1.5, both get great reviews. My biggest concern with the Aquamax was that it's pulling water out of the tank, and it just felt riskier. I do think the 1.5 is a clear upgrade.

However, the MiniQ does it's job. I need to use some foam and floss to stop the microbubbbles, but I can live with that Since using it, my pH has been more settled, and it does skim pretty well. For $90 CAD, I feel it was worth it.

There is a part of me that wonders if I should convert that section to a fuge or even just LR to help keep the pod population up, but for now, I am happy.

I recently started a fuge in that chamber using the Fuge caddy from InTank Aquatics. I have a 50 gal. It seems to work decently enough but because I'm lighting it from behind the tank, algae builds up on the back wall of the tank and reduces light penetration over time if I don't keep it scrubbed down. My phosphates have been higher than I'd like even after the fuge addition, though. It helped initially, but then I switched from a sock/fleece combo to dual filter fleeces. Because the filter fleece is 500 micron instead of 200 my nutrients started to increase again. I'm hoping the fuge catches up otherwise I'll need to add a skimmer, too.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna have to take some notes on this. Very similar setup to my own except I have the 40g im. What settings are you using on your lights? I just got the second AI Prime in today. One was ok but there are definite shadows on the edge.

I ended up taking the return flow nozzles off entirely on my tank because my dwarf ceriths would repeatedly get stuck and die in the end of it. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

So my Primes are set on Drew Orozco's schedule, the blues peak at 75%. Funny enough, I didn't realize until months later that Drew's tank was actually the exact same lagoon tank. I am adding a T5HO strip just to help with shadowing on some of my sticks, it will be quite high off the water.

I'm going to replace my nozzles with the 1/2" RFG's from VCA. Just waiting on them to go back in stock at my LFS. I actually don't run my return pump at full stregnth right now, I find the direct flow is just too much on full for the areas of my tank that I want to be low flow. My Nero runs a bunch of pulse schedules, some stronger, some weaker, gets everything moving back and forth.

I want to upgrade to the 40g, let me know how you like it! I'm stuck for a year or so while we decide if we're going to sell or renew at this house.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started a fuge in that chamber using the Fuge caddy from InTank Aquatics. I have a 50 gal. It seems to work decently enough but because I'm lighting it from behind the tank, algae builds up on the back wall of the tank and reduces light penetration over time if I don't keep it scrubbed down. My phosphates have been higher than I'd like even after the fuge addition, though. It helped initially, but then I switched from a sock/fleece combo to dual filter fleeces. Because the filter fleece is 500 micron instead of 200 my nutrients started to increase again. I'm hoping the fuge catches up otherwise I'll need to add a skimmer, too.

I was wondering how to do that (with the light). So did you remove the paint off the back?

I was thinking something like this to avoid removing the paint, but not sure how well it would work. It would also slightly stick out of the water lagoon's second chamber, so I'd have to block the top part.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was wondering how to do that (with the light). So did you remove the paint off the back?

I was thinking something like this to avoid removing the paint, but not sure how well it would work. It would also slightly stick out of the water lagoon's second chamber, so I'd have to block the top part.

Yes I used a razor to gently cut vertically then peeled it off (it's adhesive). The tricky part is figuring out how to mount the light vertically. I jerry-rigged a temporary mount but I'm slowly working on a 3d-printed custom mount for the AI Bade Fuge light I'm using.

I had looked at that Tunze light but passed on it for the reason you mentioned. Plus, you would need to cut a larger hole in the top of the fuge caddy to accommodate it.

If you do end up going down that road, I'd highly suggest the fuge caddy and the rear chamber shroud that InTank Aquatics make. Both great products. I have photos of both in my build thread.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I need a NSFW tag for this…but I think my Trochus snail is having himself a time….

Do…do I need to do a water change?

Attachments

• IMG_3628.gif
    IMG_3628.gif
    4.8 MB · Views: 45

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other snails have joined in…my clown is fighting for its life in that cesspool.

My wife has named this event: The J#zzining

What movies have you been watching?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back