Designing new through wall aquarium - 1 or 2 returns?

jmd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to R2R and this forum. It's been a while since I had a reef tank but finally in a position where I can build a dream tank.

Were in process of working with contractor to install a header to allow a through wall tank from our living/dining rooms. Proposed tank is approx ~300G 84x24x33 LxWxH (I know going in the challenges of a tall tank but keep debating over more awesome view -vs- ease of maintenance). As both sides will be visible have limited preferred placement for overflow and return. I'm proposing having a drilled overflow on one end of tank and return on other end.

1) Will one return at opposite end of tank be sufficient or should I plan for secondary next to overflow?
2) Drilled or over edge return? I'm leaning towards over edge for placement flexibility and dare I say it: should we eventually move and future home owner not want the tank not having pre-drilled returns would leave more future flexibility. If do go with over edge, I was thinking 1" PVC with 2 Street 90 elbow fittings.

1572024712124.png

Will certainly be creating and updating thread of the build (with many questions along the way I'm sure).

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can design the returns however you want them as long as the pipes can take whatever flow your thinking off. It also depends what your going to use for water circulation and movement in the display

My new 530g system that just being built up has 1 main return using an Abyzz a200 and I’m going for flow through the sump of 3-4 times. But I’m also using 2 MP60’s and an MP40 in the display. So this is probably similar to what your suggesting, although my main return is next to the overflow.

I do have a spare return at the opposite end, but I’m only planning on using it at the moment for redundancy.

Not sure I can help with the overflow but others should be along as well.

And welcome to R2R as well!!

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally wouldn't drill returns with the set up you have in mind. It looks like the tank will basically have a cabinet style canopy. Are they functional or aesthetic? Id personally design the returns to come over the top of the tank and then tee them off as you need for creating pockets of flow. You're going to need powerheads more than return pump in terms of water movement. Two returns, one return, ten returns, it really doesn't matter if you're considering it for movement between the sump and display.

ScottieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I have a similar size tank and I think your idea sounds great. I went taller also because the tank is against the wall in a dining room and I didn’t want it to encroach the room too much. I use a step stool to access the bottom on rare occasions. Over all I love the height.

I have a center overflow and return area because it fit my initial build, then I moved... Now I wish I had an end overflow. The drilled returns I imagine would be a cleaner look but flexibility would be compromised.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

OP
OP
jmd

jmd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for input thus far.

Both turning back now - installed header over Turkey week.

3bfe9ee4915227facb381b31515a519e93365545-14.jpg

OP
OP
jmd

jmd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I have a similar size tank and I think your idea sounds great. I went taller also because the tank is against the wall in a dining room and I didn’t want it to encroach the room too much. I use a step stool to access the bottom on rare occasions. Over all I love the height.

I have a center overflow and return area because it fit my initial build, then I moved... Now I wish I had an end overflow. The drilled returns I imagine would be a cleaner look but flexibility would be compromised.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.
What is height of your tank? Would you change height if you had opportunity?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back