Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like it better even with the noise. Having the try side of the MP40 stick out so much is starting to make me nervous, my oldest is nearly to the point of being able to reach it. I am sure at some point she'll get curious and unintentionally pull it off the tank! haha Of course I do still have the gyre magnet on the outside of the tank, it is smaller and I have it up higher on the tank. The wide flow that the Gyre produces is a lot better for my tank and the rock structures I created.

From the few threads I've read and the responses I've received the Gyre noise will reduce once the pump breaks in. I had the pump set to ramp from 10-50% quickly and that was loud, the setting I have it on now gradually increases which reduced the noise.

Time will tell, the defining moment for me will be cleaning the gyre. Cleaning the MP40 is SUPER simple since the wet side doesn't have any cables. I've seen some people just soak the gyre in vinegar without taking it apart, I figure once I get the other gyre pump I can alternate cleaning.

I shot a video comparing the two pumps, the only factor to keep into consideration is that the Gyre 230 and MP40 don't really compare when it comes to water movement. The MP40 is a bigger pump and it capable of moving a lot more water. I primarily focused on noise, once edited I hope to have that video out in a few weeks.

Yeah i can see my son pulling on that mp40 too. He's getting bigger everyday. I had first Gen Gyre and it was loud. It did die down but was still loud. Cleaning the gyre was a pain i hated it. Also i do not like cable in water. Well whatever it is let us know how it worked out

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat, I wasn't sure how I would like the cable being in the water either. For now that doesn't bother me. I won't rule out the Vortech pumps just yet, I may be back with them at some point!

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jasonamyers skimmers are always fun to research and harder to pick! It was between the Nyos 120 and a Deltec skimmer for me.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad it's working out for you!

zotomomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The downside to the Gyre 230 is the noise, I did open a ticket with CoralVue and they said the pump needed to break in and bacteria needed to grow on it. I have the Gyre set to random pluse from 10-40%, after running the pump for a little over a week now the noise has reduced some but it is still the loudest piece of equipment on the tank.

I have had the Gyre 230 on my Reefer 250 for almost 3 months now and it's definitely gotten much quieter with time. I can hardly hear it now. I actually just added my 2nd gyre for the other side and it reminded of how much louder my 1st Gyre was in the beginning! It's been about 2 weeks now and the 2nd Gyre is now pretty silent.

BTW, I've been following your YouTube channel as well as your thread here. Nice seeing your updates. Your tank looks great!

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the Gyre 230 on my Reefer 250 for almost 3 months now and it's definitely gotten much quieter with time. I can hardly hear it now. I actually just added my 2nd gyre for the other side and it reminded of how much louder my 1st Gyre was in the beginning! It's been about 2 weeks now and the 2nd Gyre is now pretty silent.

BTW, I've been following your YouTube channel as well as your thread here. Nice seeing your updates. Your tank looks great!

That is great news!!! My 230 actually has gotten quieter, I can still hear it a little but that is because I know it is there and I am listening to it. I should be pulling the MP40wQD off the tank soon, I'll be grabbing another 230 pump soon. Overkill for my system, but I want the anti sync modes with the dual pumps.

Thanks for the kind words!! I need to work on some more content on the tank, it's been slow going for the last few weeks!

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some supplies I'll need when I redo my manifold -
IMG_0037_zpsn6pdfqmp.jpg

AquaMaxx Fluidized GFO and Carbon Filter Media Reactor - XS
http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx...te_Reactors-AquaMaxx-UJ45114-FIFRISPR-vi.html

AquaMaxx XS Reactor (iPhone 6 for size comparison)-
IMG_0036_zps3ez5kwss.jpg

I actually got two reactors, not sure if I'll run the both of them or not -
IMG_0038_zpsipbqute7.jpg

Attemping to design my manifold. Doubt I use the 90 on the end, but I will need an output to run my RAIN2 algae turf scrubber. Using a Wye fitting to split the flow-
IMG_0067_zpsltvxniri.jpg

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of pipe clamps are you using? I'm about to do that same thing.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll split the 100 count with you. Just a thought.

Thanks for the offer, I estimate I'll only need a few screws for this small manifold. I'll pick them up locally!

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some supplies I'll need when I redo my manifold -
IMG_0037_zpsn6pdfqmp.jpg

AquaMaxx Fluidized GFO and Carbon Filter Media Reactor - XS
http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx...te_Reactors-AquaMaxx-UJ45114-FIFRISPR-vi.html

AquaMaxx XS Reactor (iPhone 6 for size comparison)-
IMG_0036_zps3ez5kwss.jpg

I actually got two reactors, not sure if I'll run the both of them or not -
IMG_0038_zpsipbqute7.jpg

Attemping to design my manifold. Doubt I use the 90 on the end, but I will need an output to run my RAIN2 algae turf scrubber. Using a Wye fitting to split the flow-
IMG_0067_zpsltvxniri.jpg

Oh boy, here we go!

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, here we go!

I've let my cabinet go for far to long. Time to change out the BRS reactor (It works, but I don't like the looks!) for the AquaMaxx @Broadfield reactors. I got two of them and I really wish I could add both, with the overflow being in the middle of the tank I don't have room. I could suspend them on the right side of my tank, but I would feel better if they were over the sump. I've spent hours trying to get this accomplished to only walk away frustrated. Any tips/tricks?? haha

With my system being so small I really think I can get away with just one, I really hate to plumb a second reactor into the system to run a 1/4 cup of GFO. I'm for sure going to run carbon. I've had the Santa Monica RAIN2 ATS sitting on a shelf in my garage for probably two months now. Need to get this manifold setup so I can get that scrubber online.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back