pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New @SpectraPureInc filters going in!

C71131EF-2896-4310-AF43-4C24D3C801C2.jpeg 703FB611-F92A-4EE7-A224-BEBDFCA7E90E.jpeg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard says to Yellow hey where's the food monster and how often does he come around?

Yellow to Leopard: Hey new guy, mind your business that monsters only here for me.

Diamond Tail abruptly buts in and says to the Leopard, Hey good looking, how YOU DOIN?! Care to meet me for a drink before the food monster comes back tonight?

Anyway, that's how I hear it playing out :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has always been a PITA when it comes to nitrates

E4B1B194-CC70-4C1A-B74C-C674E6B0E3E6.jpeg

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has always been a PITA when it comes to nitrates

Hey man, been reading through your build the last couple months, has given me some inspiration for my reefer 250 build. Bought one on November 1st a couple months ago, have been getting it set up and its almost ready to start going! You should check out my thread and give me any feedback you may have since you have been running one of these tanks a while.

Have you been dosing nitrates because they're so low? This is one thing i am worried about for my tank after a few months of running due to the clarisea roller filter being so effective from what i have read, and a skimmer. Im worried their may not be enough nutrients to go around lol. Going to have to feed more is my plan if it becomes an issue.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, been reading through your build the last couple months, has given me some inspiration for my reefer 250 build. Bought one on November 1st a couple months ago, have been getting it set up and its almost ready to start going! You should check out my thread and give me any feedback you may have since you have been running one of these tanks a while.

Have you been dosing nitrates because they're so low? This is one thing i am worried about for my tank after a few months of running due to the clarisea roller filter being so effective from what i have read, and a skimmer. Im worried their may not be enough nutrients to go around lol. Going to have to feed more is my plan if it becomes an issue.

I'll check your thread out shortly!!

This tank has always struggled with nitrates, not so much on the phosphate side. I feel like foods tend to have more phosphates VS nitrates. Years ago I bought some greenleaf kno3 and use http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm when it comes to mixing the kno3 powder with my RODI water. Personally I feel like dosing nitrates is a better route VS feeding, again because my tank does register phosphates. If I fed more to raise nitrates I am also raising phosphates.

I don't come here enough to troll ;Sorry

If you enter you must pay a troll :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I feel like dosing nitrates is a better route VS feeding, again because my tank does register phosphates. If I fed more to raise nitrates I am also raising phosphates.

Thanks man! And yea, that definitely makes sense. I didn't think about the added phosphates with foods if low nutrients becomes an issue for me. Time will tell i suppose, leak testing my tank this week with fresh rodi water, getting the rocks and salty-ness in there this weekend. So i have quite a ways to go before i have to worry about dosing nitrates and stuff still, if my tank ever even comes to that lol!

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This tank has always struggled with nitrates, not so much on the phosphate side. I feel like foods tend to have more phosphates VS nitrates. Years ago I bought some greenleaf kno3 and use http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm when it comes to mixing the kno3 powder with my RODI water. Personally I feel like dosing nitrates is a better route VS feeding, again because my tank does register phosphates. If I fed more to raise nitrates I am also raising phosphates.

If you enter you must pay a troll :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
1580311621929.png

If you guys get bored of Pelphrey, come check out my 230g display refugium! ;Playful

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! And yea, that definitely makes sense. I didn't think about the added phosphates with foods if low nutrients becomes an issue for me. Time will tell i suppose, leak testing my tank this week with fresh rodi water, getting the rocks and salty-ness in there this weekend. So i have quite a ways to go before i have to worry about dosing nitrates and stuff still, if my tank ever even comes to that lol!

Exciting weekend coming up for you!!!! I test filled mine with RODI then added the salt to the display. I actually added sand to my tank a couple months down the road. That was planned out, I love the look of the sand!

I am getting better with testing, I should have been testing nitrates and phosphates more. I do use aquatic log to track all of my test results.

1580311621929.png

If you guys get bored of Pelphrey, come check out my 230g display refugium! ;Playful

@AngryOwl This post reported for "shameless plug"!!! hahahaha :cool:

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting weekend coming up for you!!!! I test filled mine with RODI then added the salt to the display. I actually added sand to my tank a couple months down the road. That was planned out, I love the look of the sand!

Yea! That's what i plan on doing. Ill shut off the return pump and mix the saltwater in the display and run it more after its dissolved and do that a couple times till the salinity is correct. I'm pretty excited to get this thing rocking finally. The red sea 250 is really quite a beautiful little tank. Perfect for the loft i'm leasing out. When i buy a house maybe ill venture into the 100+ gallon gang.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife is sanding and painting. Little spray booth. While my cycling rocks are in a 10 gallon brute that is in a 30 gallon brute with plastic on top..

67F1A296-8FBB-4638-9208-6BC1B276B5CA.jpeg DAF21086-3BE1-43B9-8969-4355774715F2.jpeg

Back