Diagnosis Help

Brentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two were isolated out of my DT after showing signs of what I presume to be velvet. I’ve since lost both while in the hospital tank after a 4min freshwater dip which they tolerated well and start of copper treatment (only got to 1.0 ppm before they died). I started a treatment of metronidazole concurrently to cover for brooklynella since I wasn’t sure what I was dealing with and I don’t own a microscope. Trying to do a postmortem now. Looking at the pictures, what do you think this is?

I’ve counted myself lucky never having to deal with something this aggressive in the 12 years I’ve been in the hobby and don’t fancy the idea of losing more fish that are impossible to catch at this point.

346C7F79-9ACC-4B61-BF41-DE4AAD88A8DB.jpeg
320AB858-66C6-4172-978A-84CB07A27801.jpeg
2A686D4F-81BF-4D62-B0E1-E8BDE20EA966.jpeg
B08CC591-2090-44BA-91CB-E39E98DCFF5D.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Both look bacterial and copper would have been somewhat harsh especially if you did not increase oxygen
Maracyn 2 or ruby rally reef would have been a better remedy choice
If using copper in the future in which I prefer coppersafe- assure you have a reliable copper test kit to monitor level of copper
API copper kit not recommended

OP
OP
B

Brentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both look bacterial and copper would have been somewhat harsh especially if you did not increase oxygen
If using copper in the future in which I prefer coppersafe- assure you have a reliable copper test kit to monitor level of copper
Thank you for the reply. I used coppersafe and Hanna copper tester after heavy aeration of the treatment tank. Maracyn is on its way to me in the mail but saw that the situation was getting dire and needed to act. thanks again

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the reply. I used coppersafe and Hanna copper tester after heavy aeration of the treatment tank. Maracyn is on its way to me in the mail but saw that the situation was getting dire and needed to act. thanks again
Understandable

OP
OP
B

Brentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some kanaplex coming in too I assume that would be helpful as a broad spectrum antibiotic if I didn’t have any Maracyn 2? Thanks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have some kanaplex coming in too I assume that would be helpful as a broad spectrum antibiotic if I didn’t have any Maracyn 2? Thanks

Yes it would

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back