Diagnosis Help

Brentz

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 30, 2021
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
St Louis, MO
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two were isolated out of my DT after showing signs of what I presume to be velvet. I’ve since lost both while in the hospital tank after a 4min freshwater dip which they tolerated well and start of copper treatment (only got to 1.0 ppm before they died). I started a treatment of metronidazole concurrently to cover for brooklynella since I wasn’t sure what I was dealing with and I don’t own a microscope. Trying to do a postmortem now. Looking at the pictures, what do you think this is?

I’ve counted myself lucky never having to deal with something this aggressive in the 12 years I’ve been in the hobby and don’t fancy the idea of losing more fish that are impossible to catch at this point.

346C7F79-9ACC-4B61-BF41-DE4AAD88A8DB.jpeg
320AB858-66C6-4172-978A-84CB07A27801.jpeg
2A686D4F-81BF-4D62-B0E1-E8BDE20EA966.jpeg
B08CC591-2090-44BA-91CB-E39E98DCFF5D.jpeg
 
Both look bacterial and copper would have been somewhat harsh especially if you did not increase oxygen
Maracyn 2 or ruby rally reef would have been a better remedy choice
If using copper in the future in which I prefer coppersafe- assure you have a reliable copper test kit to monitor level of copper
API copper kit not recommended
 
Both look bacterial and copper would have been somewhat harsh especially if you did not increase oxygen
Maracyn 2 or ruby rally reef would have been a better remedy choice
If using copper in the future in which I prefer coppersafe- assure you have a reliable copper test kit to monitor level of copper
API copper kit not recommended
Thank you for the reply. I used coppersafe and Hanna copper tester after heavy aeration of the treatment tank. Maracyn is on its way to me in the mail but saw that the situation was getting dire and needed to act. thanks again
 
Thank you for the reply. I used coppersafe and Hanna copper tester after heavy aeration of the treatment tank. Maracyn is on its way to me in the mail but saw that the situation was getting dire and needed to act. thanks again
Understandable
 
Both look bacterial and copper would have been somewhat harsh especially if you did not increase oxygen
Maracyn 2 or ruby rally reef would have been a better remedy choice
If using copper in the future in which I prefer coppersafe- assure you have a reliable copper test kit to monitor level of copper
API copper kit not recommended
I have some kanaplex coming in too I assume that would be helpful as a broad spectrum antibiotic if I didn’t have any Maracyn 2? Thanks
 
I have some kanaplex coming in too I assume that would be helpful as a broad spectrum antibiotic if I didn’t have any Maracyn 2? Thanks

Yes it would
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new