Diatoms on dry rock? Cyclying

DAWREEFER

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2021
Messages
100
Reaction score
42
Location
Indianapolis
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first saltwater tank and my dry rock is getting a orangish hue. Doing some of my own research I think these are diatoms, I wanted a second opinion and what to know my best course of action. I have just a turbo snail and a emerald crab in here so far. There is a window that lets natural light into the tank, which I could easily close. I have not added a light to this tank yet. Should I be concerned and try to treat this or should I just wait for it to run it’s course? The picture was taken about 3 days ago.

09014498-B30D-459C-AA11-88128531F582.jpeg
 
Normal progression. I would be more worried if you didn’t get it. If it gets stringy, that’s a different matter :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new