Diatoms or not

  • Thread starter Thread starter chicago
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Messages
1,775
Reaction score
569
Location
chicago
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thoughts... please..

Diatomsoralgeafrags.jpg algeadiatomsclose.jpg
 
The fuzzy stuff doesn’t look like diatoms. Have you been dosing carbon?
 
looks like brown hair algae to me.. but a few in another post thought perhaps. Diatoms.. no carbon dosing.. just lots of feeding.. and of course nitrate reading zero and phoshate at .01 to be expected with this growth..
 
I've seen this type of algae or bloom before with low nutrients, not brown HA if it's what I'm thinking of.. Mine grew in random globs around the tank but looked very similar. I think it's more of a bacterial bloom of some sort.

Manual removal always works best followed by a fresh CUC lots of snails, and bigs ones. Having an algae issue like that with low N&P can really start to starve out SPS.
 
I had this same type of algae about the 4 month mark of tank operation.Never seen this type before .. Like you said globs and was easy to remove I used a turkey baster and blew off and got several snails to take care of .. finally it is gone pretty much . I had 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates during this time ..
 
east to get off the gravel bottom... but as far as the rock.. it is not so easy.. Giving it some time I will post on progress
 
Not trying to hijack your thread but I have something that looks similar. If it bacterial growth what is the best method to solve this issue.
 
Hijack away... no problem...would love more info...thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new