Diatoms?

KetoBlends

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2026
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I had a tank set up for about 8 weeks and tank broke down. So I had to set up a new up as an emergency which is a Fluval flex 15 have a BTA and just GSP. So I’m getting brown algae on the sand and tank glass. Am I having diatoms again??
 
Yea most likely. Tis a phase
 
I don’t think the BTA would appreciate much of a light change. How long have you had them on the sand now? Just asking cause if it just started… and you just transferred to this tank… it’s not unexpected. But I guess make sure your N and P don’t bottom out in the very least. Do you keep fish in there too yet? I’d consider those N and P levels and if you have anything that can fuel the so called “good” bacteria just enough to get more of a mixed population and balance to see some difference in the diatoms. I would just peruse that avenue for a little bit.

If it gets to be too too difficult, you could look into UV to knock the diatoms in the water at night (or day too I guess).

Apologies if I said anything you already know. Keep making music BB
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new