Diatoms

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is 6 months old with coralline growing at a good speed. Thing is I recently Changed my rock out for Real Live Rock and I'm now getting a brown diatom looking dust on it. Diatoms go away on their own so should I just leave this

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is 6 months old with coralline growing at a good speed. Thing is I recently Changed my rock out for Real Live Rock and I'm now getting a brown diatom looking dust on it. Diatoms go away on their own so should I just leave this
I tried speeding up 'go away' with small water changes using tube to siphon water & diatoms from top of sand and where ever they seemed to be. Not sure if it helped but it made me feel like I was doing something... eventually got to other side of it.

You'll get to other side of this!

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just a small brown dust on some parts of my rock. Dino go's away at night but I'm just blowing this off. Whats so bad about dinoflagellates

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read Dino cure. I dont have it but hydrogen peroxide 1ml 10 gallons and micro bacter 7. I got Diatoms from the new rock I think so im just going to add some Phosguard

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read Dino cure. I dont have it but hydrogen peroxide 1ml 10 gallons and micro bacter 7. I got Diatoms from the new rock I think so im just going to add some Phosguard

I’ve seen it mentioned a few times to use GFO/phosguard to get rid of diatoms, but wouldn’t that strip the water of p04 before it used up all the silicates?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not if you run it properly

if you run it “properly” wouldn’t it remove PO4 just as efficiently as silicates though, wouldn’t it?

I can’t see how it can be used where it only removes one and not the other.

Back