Diatoms?

Nikko

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 31, 2016
Messages
121
Reaction score
50
Location
Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello kind and helpful reefers! I have what hopefully is an easy question.

Took a sample of my substrate as I have been having issues with a brown coating on my aquarium that forms once lights go on and go away when they go off. This has been going on for over a month. I don't believe it's Dinos based on their form of motion.

I believe they may be diatoms due to high silica (haven't tested but I have a diamond goby that is constantly churning the sand which may be contributing to that).

Is my belief correct or is this some other kind of critter? I plan to reduce silica if they are indeed diatoms. Any help is appreciated!
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20220120_031824225~2.mp4
    13 MB
Can’t open video
Any still pics under white lighting?
 
Hello kind and helpful reefers! I have what hopefully is an easy question.

Took a sample of my substrate as I have been having issues with a brown coating on my aquarium that forms once lights go on and go away when they go off. This has been going on for over a month. I don't believe it's Dinos based on their form of motion.

I believe they may be diatoms due to high silica (haven't tested but I have a diamond goby that is constantly churning the sand which may be contributing to that).

Is my belief correct or is this some other kind of critter? I plan to reduce silica if they are indeed diatoms. Any help is appreciated!
Have you tested your NO3 and PO4? If it's silica Rowphos works very well
 
@vetteguy53081 and @Mark Gray thank you for the responses. Lights out in the tank for the night and put my microscope back - I will take still pics tomorrow and get back. I appreciate both of your time!
 
I'd use Cuprisorb since it takes out all bad metals and silicates.
It could also be a bacteria or something.
I'd recommend Tropic Marin Nitriobiotic if you can find it, or Dr. Tim's Eco Balance.
Those are both AMAZING and underrated products I'd recommend you get at least one of those regardless of what happens in your tank.
 
I'd use Cuprisorb since it takes out all bad metals and silicates.
It could also be a bacteria or something.
I'd recommend Tropic Marin Nitriobiotic if you can find it, or Dr. Tim's Eco Balance.
Those are both AMAZING and underrated products I'd recommend you get at least one of those regardless of what happens in your tank.
Thanks for the info!!
 
Hello @vetteguy53081 and @Mark Gray . Here is the best pic I was able to take under white light. I hope this helps.

Screenshot_20220120-185405.png
 
Awe shucks, more losers to deal with lol. I will take them down though. Thanks for the ID!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new