Did I do the wrong thing?

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hood on my tank but due to the lighting, had to remove it. So I bought the crate lighting panels for my tank cover. They were white and when the AI lights hit it they were blinding. So I spray painted them black last night. Just the tops and sides, not the bottom. I am getting a fire fish today from TSM and didn't want it jumping out. The DIY screen kit isn't available right now on BRS which is what I want to use.

Now I'm worried the paint may somehow get into the tank. Did I do the wrong thing by painting the crates? I used Rust-Oleum that I had on hand, flat black. The crates are about an inch of the water, laying on the lip of the tank.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you link what you used?
mom super paranoid about paint but a lot of people use it

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone can help-I don’t use paint because I worry it will screw up parameters or leech.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spray paint, as long as it's dry, will be fine. The eggcrate itself, OTOH, won't even slow down a firefish. I would strongly suggest that you invest in a DIY screen top using window screen frame and brackets from HD/Lowes and 1/4" mesh from BRS.

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say go to home depot and get a piece of thin acrylic and cut it to size fire fish will fly tight through egg crate

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say go to home depot and get a piece of thin acrylic and cut it to size fire fish will fly tight through egg crate
The problem with using acrylic as a top is that not only will it warp badly (and the thinner the faster), it will need cleaning way too often, and it will greatly reduce oxygen exchange at the surface.

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with using acrylic as a top is that not only will it warp badly (and the thinner the faster), it will need cleaning way too often, and it will greatly reduce oxygen exchange at the surface.
They only need a temp solution and it doesn’t warp bad if they drill holes for heat to escape

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always go the DIY screen lid route if you are concerned about contamination or jumpers fitting through the light diffuser.

OP
OP
Terr-c

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spray painted several things in and around my tank with rustoleom, including my ATS. As long as it's dry, it's fine
Thank you so much homer1475!!! It was totally dry before I put it on the tank. I was worried if it got damp it might leech or something into the tank. Thank you for confirming!!!! ;Happy

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own overflow out of PVC and spray painted it black. No problems. I've even had a few scratches that caused a little to flake off in the tank. If it's going to kill anything, it's sure taking its sweet time to do so. It's been a year.

OP
OP
Terr-c

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own overflow out of PVC and spray painted it black. No problems. I've even had a few scratches that caused a little to flake off in the tank. If it's going to kill anything, it's sure taking its sweet time to do so. It's been a year.
jeffchapok thanks for the reassurance!! ;Happy

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back