Did I find my culprit ? Sps not happy. White bugs? Clear video

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are vets okay with prescribing it for tanks? I have two dogs and a vet I have used for years. Just wondered if I told them of my intended use if they would be okay prescribing a 6 or 12 pack?
It's hit or miss, if you have a good rapport with your vet, they'll usually have no issue with prescribing it.

My vet already heard about it from friends and colleagues, so it didn't take much convincing.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep Bayer won't do it. There's a common myth out there that Bayer will kill Red, White, Gray and black bugs, but it doesn't. The only known chemical to work is Milbemycin Oxime which is the active ingredient in Interreceptor. Pro tip: there is a generic version that does the job and is less expensive... https://www.1800petmeds.com/milbeguard+++generic+to+interceptor-12109.html?dfw_tracker=126493-12109&nbt=nb:adwords:g:18384435549:155748611922:675729607346&nb_adtype=pla_with_promotion&nb_kwd=&nb_ti=pla-316991333231&nb_mi=3228932&nb_pc=online&nb_pi=12109&nb_ppi=316991333231&nb_placement=&nb_si=
Can you buy this without a prescription ? Every vet has turned me down lol. Even my own Aunt ahahah.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's hit or miss, if you have a good rapport with your vet, they'll usually have no issue with prescribing it.

My vet already heard about it from friends and colleagues, so it didn't take much convincing.
Every vet has turned me down even my aunt who is a vet and owns her practice. She told me she needs a patient and if I brought a dog the correct size in she would give me it no problem because what I do with the interceptor is my choice if I didn’t use it on the dog.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t have a dog. I have a medium sized cat. How would I get it from my vet? Do I just tell them it’s for my reef tank?
I’ve been told down by 5. They have told me they need a patient that weighs the same.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told down by 5. They have told me they need a patient that weighs the same.
Let’s just hope those Bayer dips will keep me covered. If I end up getting red/white bugs, I’ll borrow a dog and go to the vet.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let’s just hope those Bayer dips will keep me covered. If I end up getting red/white bugs, I’ll borrow a dog and go to the vet.
lol I can’t even borrow it proper size German Shepard because there is records he has gotten the dewormer shot this year.

Can you guys reassure me this will not nuke my tank? I’m nervous because no one I’ve told has heard of this before. I personally had not heard of it only red bugs.. there isn’t much professionally documented online. I have 15-20 k in corrals alone. Very worried :(

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you buy this without a prescription ? Every vet has turned me down lol. Even my own Aunt ahahah.
Unfortunately no you can't. Check your area for small animal vets or fish vets (yes they do exist). They may be able to provide a prescription.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canada pet care sells it interceptor for large dogs

I can’t guarantee it will not nuke your tank. Nor can I guarantee that if you stare at the bugs long enough they will go away on their own. People have been using Milbemycin Oxime successfully for years as an in tank treatment for bugs. Follow the protocol that others have used and it should be fine.

I get it, I am always concerned with trying something new. I have used Milbemycin a few times with great success. Heck, I killed more coral dosing crap in a fancy bottle.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Canada pet care sells it interceptor for large dogs

I can’t guarantee it will not nuke your tank. Nor can I guarantee that if you stare at the bugs long enough they will go away on their own. People have been using Milbemycin Oxime successfully for years as an in tank treatment for bugs. Follow the protocol that others have used and it should be fine.

I get it, I am always concerned with trying something new. I have used Milbemycin a few times with great success. Heck, I killed more coral dosing crap in a fancy bottle.
Thanks I have gotten a prescription from a local vet. Im going to give it a shot early next week. I found them on a frogspawn too. The frog spawn seems to not be happy. I also found these eggs at the base. Is this something bad or same bug on my acro ?

Attachments

• IMG_1284.jpeg
    IMG_1284.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1285.jpeg
    IMG_1285.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 42

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I have gotten a prescription from a local vet. Im going to give it a shot early next week. I found them on a frogspawn too. The frog spawn seems to not be happy. I also found these eggs at the base. Is this something bad or same bug on my acro ?
Glad you got the meds.
I have no experience with these other bastads, just something I have heard of. Maybe someone else can be certain. Try a google search for euphyllia nudi eggs.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've done it countless times, and never had any issues. The only thing I would complain about is that I forgot that I had shrimp in my tank and 3 days after the 1st treatment, they were dead. But a small price to pay for coral health.
Very true I don’t even care if my shrimp die although I’m going to try and catch them. I have a bag of frozen shrimp I eat in freezer.. lol.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes
Those are white bugs and the only thing that will kill them is a strong dose of interceptor
I dosed half of the large pill 23mg to my 110 total gallon system. It’s been 20 hours. I still see a lot of these bugs on the acropora and a frogspawn. I still see a lot of pods and my cleaner shrimps didn’t even die ( I couldn’t catch them). I warmed up some rodi water in microwave to 110 degrees , crushed pill ( there were still many small chunks. I could see them in sides of glass in tank where water level settles. Did I not dissolve the medication enough or something? I’m shocked my shrimp did not diet this half a tablet of 23mg interceptor per 110 gallons.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed half of the large pill 23mg to my 110 total gallon system. It’s been 20 hours. I still see a lot of these bugs on the acropora and a frogspawn. I still see a lot of pods and my cleaner shrimps didn’t even die ( I couldn’t catch them). I warmed up some rodi water in microwave to 110 degrees , crushed pill ( there were still many small chunks. I could see them in sides of glass in tank where water level settles. Did I not dissolve the medication enough or something? I’m shocked my shrimp did not diet this half a tablet of 23mg interceptor per 110 gallons.
Your shrimp will probably die in the next 24 hours but that dosage is way too low for white bugs. You need at least 2 full pills for 110g. I would do 3 just to be certain.

All I do is pulverize them with a spoon and add them to room temp ro/di water And shake it up for a few minutes.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your shrimp will probably die in the next 24 hours but that dosage is way too low for white bugs. You need at least 2 full pills for 110g. I would do 3 just to be certain.

All I do is pulverize them with a spoon and add them to room temp ro/di water And shake it up for a few minutes.
Woofta lol 3 pills large size for 110 gallons?? What is the highest dosage you have done and kept corrals and fish safe ? I think I read you have done a large pill per 50 gallons ? With this high of a dose 2 pills for 110g, is this a 3 treatments or one and done ?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just did 2 23mg pills per 100g. And a local farmer just did 4 23mg pills per 100g and is showing promise for killing spionid worms as well. Fish and corals are perfectly fine.
When doing dosages this high do you do multiple treatments or just one?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just did 2 23mg pills per 100g. And a local farmer just did 4 23mg pills per 100g and is showing promise for killing spionid worms as well. Fish and corals are perfectly fine.
Also did you just do it because they keep coming back or preventative dose ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

I’m going to ask for interceptor from my vet. Do you think these are white bugs? I’ve even found some black looking bugs too. My sps have been losing PE and fading. Only certain ones. Will interceptor work for this and the black ones? The black ones I’ll post too. Thanks!

Interceptor generally for red and black bugs. These are grey bugs and often respond to dips. Ive had good luck with Coral RX.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back