Did I just get taken for an idiot buyer?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds reasonable. But does it look like it's close to the same thing? And if that's so will the color return after a while. It was a lot of money for me so what I got and what I was thinking I would get was a bit of a shock
I mean, $1000 for two corals is a lot for everyone (tbh unimaginable for me), but my experience has been that euphyllia really glow when they are full acclimated and happy in a stable tank. If your lights are similar to the seller's lights and your parameters are similar to his (both chemistry and flow) my bet is that once they are settled they will really make you happy.

Another note worth mentioning is that every time you mess with them (e.g. placement) it's a shock to the coral that they will have to adapt to. Best to take a wait and see approach, but good that you're communicating with the seller.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much for the input. My question seems to be answered. It sh
I mean, $1000 for two corals is a lot for everyone (tbh unimaginable for me), but my experience has been that euphyllia really glow when they are full acclimated and happy in a stable tank. If your lights are similar to the seller's lights and your parameters are similar to his (both chemistry and flow) my bet is that once they are settled they will really make you happy.

Another note worth mentioning is that every time you mess with them (e.g. placement) it's a shock to the coral that they will have to adapt to. Best to take a wait and see approach, but good that you're communicating with the seller.
Yeah man, they were gonna be my last purchases before I let everything grow out and I get a new tank. Also I no longer spot feed torches. Only broadcast feed redsea ab+. Has bad luck in the past with spot feeding torches. I never pick up torches and move them after they are in. I made that mistake with my first ever and i lost it. I'm a daily tester as well so I'm super on top of my parameters so I think from what other people have been saying it will come back to all or most of its glory :). I've just never seen this big a difference before so I was concerned

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The indo def doesn't look happy. Possibly a fresh import and the picture may have been taken at the peak of health...Hopefully you can bring it back with some proper parameters and a good feeding schedule.
Bill Murray Reaction GIF
Thanks :). My parameters are in check! I'm a daily tester as well so It should bounce back. Just had to confirm if they lost that much color or I for sure thought that the 3rd picture I thought I was getting was completely different. I still do but I think the holy grail will come back to it's full glory.

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
its really hard to tell, color especially in torches is so dependent on parameters, lighting, weather it woke up in a good mood. its really important to buy from sellers you trust if at all possible and buy torches that are aqucultured and not fresh imports is also important. if they are fresh in, maybe they looked great when he got them and now the jet lag is hitting them.

are you hitting it with the same par he or she did?

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone that puts 500 dollars on a coral IMO ... is ... I don't know what to say dude.

Give it 2 weeks and if it doesnt look the same then get your money back.

Otherwise don't buy corals that expensive until you have more experience.

Last edited:

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Also, it looks like they were fragged after the sellers pictures were taken? the handling involved in fragging can also mess them up for a while, depending. Next time have the seller frag them and send you a pic of the actual frag you are getting, that way it is also easier to tell if you are getting the same thing.

And there is nothing wrong with spending a lot on a coral frag you want, though shopping around to make sure you are comfortable with the price is a good idea.

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought these 2 torches from a site online and they were a couple hour drive away from me so no shipping stress was involved. I paid 1000 for the both and wanted to know if maybe they were just stressed and the color will return or if it's a completely different one and it was falsely advertised. Since the quarantine restrictions here I was not able to go in and see it in tank so it was shriveled up in the to go bag. but maybe you can confirm if the color loss would be this extreme as the person says

First is a pic of what I thought ordered a holy grail torch , second is in the tank after 4 days. It's on with heavy blues and an orange lense filter just like how the guy had said his lights were. Also played with a bunch of different lighting as well

Third pic is what I thought I was getting and fourth is what's in my tank now. The guy is saying it's 100% what I ordered and the color will come back on 2 weeks

Screenshot_20211229-202452_Kijiji.jpg 20220102_114050.jpg 56552E3A-7CE8-4F3B-93FE-9F9A5E2D5470.jpeg 20220102_114357.jpg
Those sales pictures have more heads for sure. Under very blue lights.

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your picture lighting isn't great and there's not a huge amount of detail But the structure does look sight, there are color similarities.

Is a single head of each colony worth a grand? Who knows. The value is up to you, but I wouldn't start screaming yet.

Torches are notoriously whimpy and drama queens when it comes to being moved. If the supplier you got them from is a few hours away, there was still Some shipping stress involved. Take plenty of pictures to document, but I'd say to hold on tight for another while.
Torch prices are crazy right now. Rather pay for hammer at 1/3 the price.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those sales pictures have more heads for sure. Under very blue lights.
Yes.. those are intended to be Colony pics of the torch before fragging.

Some are. Many variants have come down in the last year. The torch craze seems to be in equilibrium with supply and demand. HG, Masters style, hellfire and similar Indo golds have all moved down in price.

Watch open brain prices for a bit. They are going in the opposite direction.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'd rather pay that as well but I just love torches! It's not a giant tank so I wanted to stock it with some more colorful stuff. I think when everything grows out to colonies it will look very pleasing to me. Everything I got was single heads so I'm getting some decent growth already for my tank goals anyhow

Attachments

• 20220102_125348.jpg
    20220102_125348.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some are. Many variants have come down in the last year. The torch craze seems to be in equilibrium with supply and demand. HG, Masters style, hellfire and similar Indo golds have all moved down in price.

Bounce mushrooms were crazy in my area for a while too and they are calming down in price

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible to get the color spectrum from the guy you bought it from and try and match it with your lights?

Not sure if this is stupid but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
Thank you, but Yeah I already asked. Max blues with 8%whites and barely any red or green. I've played around with a bunch of different color spectrums already. I believe the holy grail will come back but I think the other one won't look anything like what was advertised.

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, but Yeah I already asked. Max blues with 8%whites and barely any red or green. I've played around with a bunch of different color spectrums already. I believe the holy grail will come back but I think the other one won't look anything like what was advertised.
That's unfortunate. I'm guessing the person you bought it from won't take it back or exchange it?

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$1000 for an LPS coral? Wow! Parameters look good - they take time to adjust.
Yeah I know.... I really wanted those two and I couldn't find them anywhere else or for any better price. These were gonna be the last corals I got for this tank. I'm gonna give it a couple weeks anyways. I should be able to notice some color coming back by then if it's the same. I think my parameters are in very good shape so it should bounce back. I have my flow specific for torch coral as well. So it should come back if it's the same one.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unfortunate. I'm guessing the person you bought it from won't take it back or exchange it?
Not looking like it. I let him know anyways. I wanted to confirm with other people first though before I make any accusations. Maybe it actually is what was advertised and just stressed that much when moved. But I've had other torches that were shipped overnight that looked exactly what I ordered the next day. This just had a 2 hour car ride so I wasn't expecting this difference :)

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's always tough, specially when you didn't get to see it in person.

I'll say, front view vs top view can really make a difference in viewing and coloration but it shouldn't be night and day.
Here's my example. When I first got one of my torches home, vs a month later top down and frontal views.

PXL_20210601_205240414.MP.jpg

PXL_20210813_172447415.MP.jpg

PXL_20210813_172659503.MP.jpg

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210612_000524163.MP.jpg

Not long after I got home. Maybe 1 week, but this one is under blues not the whites.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back