Did I just get taken for an idiot buyer?

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll never get those colours through the glass. Not with your eyes, not with a camera. Top down, and definitely pushing the spectrum of what is acceptable photochopery these days. You can tweak out your lights to reproduce but has to be top down, with a filter, and some adjustments. The original photos everything is blue, and clipping the ranges it’s like a black light poster. You got some nice torches but def fell victim to r2r hype (the only merit of the old forum is this stuff was frowned upon where here it’s accepted). Relabeling brown corals gold with manipulating top down photos.. ooof. Don’t get me wrong I’ve got some nice brown Er I mean gold frogspawn they sure do look better in the photos then reality.

either way I wouldn’t say you got ripped off unless you were expecting multiple heads.
I just took some down photos with a orange lense. And my blues are intense on the ai hydra 32 with 0 white. But I had 2 other people show me their holy grail torches and they looked exactly like the picture as advertised. I'm not saying I got ripped off yet though. It might still bounce back. but if not then yes I absolutely did. I could have easily bought somewhere else but the website looked professional and it was driving distance so I thought it was a good opportunity.

MomSaysNo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a gold torch recently and was lucky enough to pick up in person. The colors were phenomenal when I picked it up
26A8F56D-C3C9-4132-9B8C-5B6235149643.jpeg
after I brought it home i was thinking the colors weren’t as hot but maybe a week later and it’s definitely perking up in my tank.
7BEF9318-7B8C-4FF4-B63F-FD4CC586331F.jpeg
Sorry I don't have any input here, but I saw this picture and couldn't help but comment. That's a good looking tank!!

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took some down photos with a orange lense. And my blues are intense on the ai hydra 32 with 0 white. But I had 2 other people show me their holy grail torches and they looked exactly like the picture as advertised. I'm not saying I got ripped off yet though. It might still bounce back. but if not then yes I absolutely did. I could have easily bought somewhere else but the website looked professional and it was driving distance so I thought it was a good opportunity.

Are you using a dslr? Taking a ‘good’ vibrant photo is a bit more involved then top down, orange filter, blue light. Not all orange filters are the same, not all blue lighting is the same, white balance, and whatever other post processing. Even if you watched them cut a piece of the colony pictured it would be hard pressed to produce the exact colours in a different system with different equipment. Not impossible but you’d have to work at it and it would be In Photo alone

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn up your whites to get a better picture. An orange filter can only do so much. The indo gold from the listing was taking with whites turned up for sure.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a dslr? Taking a ‘good’ vibrant photo is a bit more involved then top down, orange filter, blue light. Not all orange filters are the same, not all blue lighting is the same, white balance, and whatever other post processing. Even if you watched them cut a piece of the colony pictured it would be hard pressed to produce the exact colours in a different system with different equipment. Not impossible but you’d have to work at it and it would be In Photo alone
Lol no I'm not. But it captures the color of everything else pretty dang good so it would look similar. It's not even close though is it. I'd be fine if it had half the color of the advertised. I'm just trying to find out if it's what i was told I was getting man. If could very well brighten up later and I really hope it does. But the other indo gold is nothing like it.

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lps torches hammers or frogspawn usually don't loose their color when you add them to your tank initially. My gold wall hammer 5 years ago was looking very gold the first 6 months and overtime lost its crazy gold now its more like a rainbow golden hammer. Torches in the other hand should have intense coloration when shriveled up.
But then theres different camera, lighting, filters, etc. Maybe the pict on for sale was a few months ago and then the coral changed color.
Thats why i only buy high priced corals in person.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved away from buying online sight unseen for that very reason, too much photo shop in this hobby and you never can tell what it actually looks like in real life. Hope in this case it colors up over the next few days.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn up your whites to get a better picture. An orange filter can only do so much. The indo gold from the listing was taking with whites turned up for sure.
There you go :) , whites at 100 but with blue on as well if it makes a big difference.

Attachments

• 20220103_182547.jpg
    20220103_182547.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20220103_182728.jpg
    20220103_182728.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved away from buying online sight unseen for that very reason, too much photo shop in this hobby and you never can tell what it actually looks like in real life. Hope in this case it colors up over the next few days.
I've had such good luck I guess before. This is my first more expensive one so lesson learned. But hey it might come back :). Would you say it's the same just faded or a different one altogether?

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol no I'm not. But it captures the color of everything else pretty dang good so it would look similar. It's not even close though is it. I'd be fine if it had half the color of the advertised. I'm just trying to find out if it's what i was told I was getting man. If could very well brighten up later and I really hope it does. But the other indo gold is nothing like it.
Not really, but if you insist ‍;Headphone The lighting spectrum and means by which yours vs their photos are taken are vastly different. Not sure what else to say.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does experience have with buying coral? I've bought lots online and they all turned out to be the same thing I ordered.
I think what they meant is it’s best to have more reefing experience before buying expensive corals, as the risk is greater of losing them (and your money) if you don’t.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, but if you insist ‍;Headphone The lighting spectrum and means by which yours vs their photos are taken are vastly different. Not sure what else to say.
You can just say what I asked originally. Either a yes I think it's the same one just spectrum is off. Or maybe it is! too early to tell you whiny punk :) or no it doesn't look like it's the same. That's all I wanted to find out. Im not looking to argue. And it seems to me that the grail actually might be it from 2 other people's comparison pics they shared.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what they meant is it’s best to have more reefing experience before buying expensive corals, as the risk is greater of losing them (and your money) if you don’t.

Well regardless if I lost it due to "inexperience" with lps. I wouldn't mind if it was my fault and lost torch to that as it would be my own fault. Just wanted to know if others had the same Issue with color loss and bounced back or if it was different. It just had nothing to do with the question.

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just say what I asked originally. Either a yes I think it's the same one just spectrum is off. Or maybe it is! too early to tell you whiny punk :) or no it doesn't look like it's the same. That's all I wanted to find out. Im not looking to argue. And it seems to me that the grail actually might be it from 2 other people's comparison pics they shared.
My mistake, I thought you would want a genuine response that could actually be of value into understanding why your expectations and reality were so misaligned; in order to avoid finding yourself in this situation again. Next time I promise to placate you.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mistake, I thought you would want a genuine response that could actually be of value into understanding why your expectations and reality were so misaligned; in order to avoid finding yourself in this situation again. Next time I promise to placate you.
You're too kind

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A couple of things to mention which may have had effect, If you did, you should never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it especially when unpacking it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including a temperature around 78 degrees, a specific gravity of about 1.025, ph of about 8.2, and a calcium level of about 400 ppm. Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of things to mention which may have had effect, If you did, you should never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it especially when unpacking it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including a temperature around 78 degrees, a specific gravity of about 1.025, ph of about 8.2, and a calcium level of about 400 ppm. Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting.
Thanks :). I actually have all those. Parameters going. And have the tank flow setup specifically for this torch. I also never move them after I place them in initially so I'm on a check there as well. But what I was thinking is maybe the zoaxanthelle had just expelled out and it similar enough to be the same. I think im gonna wait a couple weeks longer see if in fact it comes back. Now with all that information do you think they are the same? I think the one is and that's what happened with the zoaxanthelle, just didn't realize it was that extreme.

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should cite your sources on this info. You post this all the time. A bunch of general information about torch care that someone else actually took the time to write. You are just cutting and pasting. It's not your own thoughts....it's plagiarism.

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of beating around the bush in here too....

Coloration aside, the SIZE of these torch heads is ridiculous. Some of the tiniest things I've ever seen.

For $1000, you got ripped off.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks :). I actually have all those. Parameters going. And have the tank flow setup specifically for this torch. I also never move them after I place them in initially so I'm on a check there as well. But what I was thinking is maybe the zoaxanthelle had just expelled out and it similar enough to be the same. I think im gonna wait a couple weeks longer see if in fact it comes back. Now with all that information do you think they are the same? I think the one is and that's what happened with the zoaxanthelle, just didn't realize it was that extreme.
very likely as zooxanthellae provided its coloration

Back