Did I Just Ruin My New Tank . . .

BST96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am hoping this is not the end of this build that hasn't even started. I made a careless mistake and hit the edge of the tank with the glass sump as I was putting it back under the stand. I guess the edge was not over the flush with the stand as I am just storing it for now while equipment stacks up.

Let me know what you think as I have little experience with the structural engineering behind these rimless tanks. Is this going to be an issue or just cosmetic? And if it is an issue are there any cost effective solutions?

Thanks in advance, Ben!

Ang 1.jpg Ang 2.jpg Ang 3.jpg

OP
OP
BST96

BST96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No leak test yet, I am confident it will hold water short term. The long term stability of that seal is what concerns me.

The tank is 65 gallons and, 1/2" glass.

Im so bummed I literally picked this up 4 days ago. I guess my next question is, if it is indeed unsuable in this state is worth anything to anyone? I am assuming its not very cost effecective to replace that front pannel.

- Ben

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look to me like the chip is in an area where the silicone is bonding the panels, so IMO it's likely fine as long as the siliconed areas still have undamaged glass behind them. Best person to answer this though is the tank manufacturer, you should send them the photos and ask their opinion.

OP
OP
BST96

BST96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a a little clearer side shot. The crack definitely extends above the bottom pane. I appreciate all the advice, talk about things that make you want to quit the hobby this is the first one for me. :(

Due to the fact I rent my house I can't really risk 65 gallons of water on my floor. For that reason I think I will have to get rid of it. Is this of any value to anyone or would I be a fool to try to even sell / trade it? Obviously the issue would be made very clear.

Thanks - Ben

20190904_090937.jpg

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a a little clearer side shot. The crack definitely extends above the bottom pane. I appreciate all the advice, talk about things that make you want to quit the hobby this is the first one for me. :(

Due to the fact I rent my house I can't really risk 65 gallons of water on my floor. For that reason I think I will have to get rid of it. Is this of any value to anyone or would I be a fool to try to even sell / trade it? Obviously the issue would be made very clear.

Thanks - Ben

20190904_090937.jpg
I did something similar with my first tank, IM Fusion 30L, except it was at the top by the seam and I had already filled it. IM told me not to risk it. So sorry

OP
OP
BST96

BST96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys ... I'm over it at this point cant cry over spilt milk am I right? Just glad it wasnt a $1400 tank lol! I guess I will have to pick-up the Waterbox 70.3 I really wanted.

I will list it on here to see if anyone is interested in repairing it or wants to trade for some equipment. I suppose if you got it for cheap enough it would be 100% worth the repair.

Again, much appreciated - Ben

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chipped a tank while drilling once. It wasn't on a corner like this - was in the middle of a side panel.

It would have probably worked, but I ended up throwing it in the trash because it just wasn't worth the risk. Glass tank is relatively low cost compared to other equipment. Might as well get a good one.

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hold your horses. It might be ok. Or if it isn't, you don't have any water in it now so it can probably be fixed.

If I were you I'd probably just fill it up with plain old tap water and see if it holds. Then again, more research needed!

Not totally sure what I'm even looking at, but if we're just talking about a chip in the corner it might be ok.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree on JB Weld epoxy or I recommend glass repair kit they sell for windshield chips. STRONG AS GLASS !

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back