Did I unlock all the phosphate from 100#s of live rock?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing! The LC was delivered. I have added 3 drops (10 minutes apart) into the skimmer and all seems good. I was blowing off the rocks when the bottle arrived so hard to tell if the cloud is detritus or LC but the fish dont seem any different and the water is not milky/hazy. Now to triple check my math.
Cheers! Mark

Cool! I am going to start dosing next week when my supplies arrive! Good luck!

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I hope this is just a testing issue? Maybe tested too soon after dosing? Phosphate is same as yesterday:
1602707718775.jpeg

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I hope this is just a testing issue? Maybe tested too soon after dosing? Phosphate is same as yesterday:
1602707718775.jpeg
How much rocks do you have? phosphate is tricky because rocks absorb it, if your level is at .22 for a long time your rock also have that and will leach it back to the water. The rocks can actually hold more phosphate than the water, that's why water change can hardly make a dent on it. It will be a rollercoaster until the phosphate in your rocks is down to the level that you want it to be.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much rocks do you have? phosphate is tricky because rocks absorb it, if your level is at .22 for a long time your rock also have that and will leach it back to the water. The rocks can actually hold more phosphate than the water, that's why water change can hardly make a dent on it. It will be a rollercoaster until the phosphate in your rocks is down to the level that you want it to be.
I have a lot of rocks, 3 tanks this full plumbed together
1602718282531.png

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of rocks, 3 tanks this full plumbed together
You're in for a long ride. Good thing is, you're starting from .22, it's not a long way to .1. I started at >4, 5 months into it, I am still at 1.6. I don't dose continuesly though, I will does for a couple of days, stop for week or 2, measure, then dose again.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever you do, don't keep dosing higher amounts more frequently. Keep it slow and steady.
Once your rocks stop leaching you won't know it. I would hate to see you bottom out your phosphates by unknowingly overdosing.

Last edited:

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever you do, don't keep dosing higher amounts more frequently. Keep it slow and steady.
Once your rocks stop leaching you won't know it. I would hate to see you bottom out you phosphates by unknowingly overdosing.
That's why I skip a week or 2 to see if the rocks are still leaching.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're in for a long ride. Good thing is, you're starting from .22, it's not a long way to .1. I started at >4, 5 months into it, I am still at 1.6. I don't dose continuesly though, I will does for a couple of days, stop for week or 2, measure, then dose again.
Once your rocks stop leaching you won't know it. I would hate to see you bottom out your phosphates by unknowingly overdosing.
That's why I skip a week or 2 to see if the rocks are still leaching.
Great advice guys! I am in the habit of testing phosphate every 4th day and at .14 the last 2 tests, I am not in a panic/rush. My fish would disagree though as they are now on a diet and I need to up my feeding cause my nitrates were only 10 - last week before I cut the feeding in half. I am going to add some of the feeding back immed.
Cheers! Mark

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue and heard lantium chloride was a tank killer. But out of desperation i got some LC from Ultimate Aquacare as they have a dosing app. You input the tank size and your phosphate levels and it calculates your dose I am now at Po4=0.02 to 0.06.
I went slow and steady
Great product!

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tested phosphate today. Still at .14 so tested again and .09 I dont which to believe. So yesterdays 8 drops was safe and at most dropped .05ppm. So I just added 10 drops at the same time into the sump. Will test again tomorrow.
Cheers! Mark
Cool. Which hanna phosphate are you using, LR or ULR? LR has a .04 accuracy and ULR is .02.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And tomorrow I will get a Red Sea Pro phosphate test kit - then I can double check
If for some reason you find yourself up in the city with a water sample I’ll run it on my Hanna 736. There’s probably a BAR member with one closer to you, but I don’t know of one off hand.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If for some reason you find yourself up in the city with a water sample I’ll run it on my Hanna 736. There’s probably a BAR member with one closer to you, but I don’t know of one off hand.
We were up there at sfdan's yesterday

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were up there at sfdan's yesterday
If you make it up again I'm very close to the Twin Peaks park. I'm not giving tank tours (ie not letting outsiders through my house during COVID), but my phosphate test is always available, and there's easy parking on my street. Just PM me here or on the BAR site with some notice (same username).

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you make it up again I'm very close to the Twin Peaks park. I'm not giving tank tours (ie not letting outsiders through my house during COVID), but my phosphate test is always available, and there's easy parking on my street. Just PM me here or on the BAR site with some notice (same username).
Thanks! Very generous

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back