Did I unlock all the phosphate from 100#s of live rock?

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, I have a hanna URL and was getting varied results. Thing is if you watch any" how to use the tester" on any youtube channel they open the reagent incorrectly. The only reason you will get varience with the hanna checker is varience with the amount of reagent. The face of the reagent sachet is marked to cut it along 2 sideswith a curved corner then open it like a snapdragon. If you have been opening the sachet by cutting or tearing along one side only.......................trust me on this;)

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, I have a hanna URL and was getting varied results. Thing is if you watch any" how to use the tester" on any youtube channel they open the reagent incorrectly. The only reason you will get varience with the hanna checker is varience with the amount of reagent. The face of the reagent sachet is marked to cut it along 2 sideswith a curved corner then open it like a snapdragon. If you have been opening the sachet by cutting or tearing along one side only.......................trust me on this;)
I think you will find this is a very hard to defend statement. At a minimum finger prints and bubbles definitely impact the results.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason I have an issue with micro bubbles on the inside as well. For me they seem to stick to the inside of the bubble rather than rising to the top. Perhaps I'm inverting them too quickly, but less and I end up with undissolved reagent. My solution has been to wait a minute or so, then slowly roll the vial around once so that the excess air in the container pops all of the bubbles on the wall. I had a lot of false high readings until I started doing this.

As you stated, reagent powder getting stuck in the bottom corner is definitely an issue as well.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been following along and curious to know how you determined where to run your tanks PO4 at? Why did you choose 0.1PPM as your goal? What affects were there or could there be at the higher levels?

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow the instructions and open it properly.
I wipe all fingerprints
Micro bubble can be an issue.
My biggest issue is that my tester shuts off in exactly 2 minutes. Not hardly enough time to pull and open the vial, pour contents carefully into vial, check that I poured it all, close cap, shake, inspect, deal with bubbles, wipe down, insert into tester, close and push button. I will never buy another Hanna tester.

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it odd that I have not seen any cloudiness?
You're dosing small enough amount into a large system, gets diluted pretty fast. On mine I just pour 7.5-10ml straight to the skimmer, less than 100g to total water volume, and all I get is hazyness.

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow the instructions and open it properly.
I wipe all fingerprints
Micro bubble can be an issue.
My biggest issue is that my tester shuts off in exactly 2 minutes. Not hardly enough time to pull and open the vial, pour contents carefully into vial, check that I poured it all, close cap, shake, inspect, deal with bubbles, wipe down, insert into tester, close and push button. I will never buy another Hanna tester.
a lot of user is getting that issue with LR, ULR shuts off in 8 minutes.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been following along and curious to know how you determined where to run your tanks PO4 at? Why did you choose 0.1PPM as your goal? What affects were there or could there be at the higher levels?
Well phosphates feed algae, and at some point higher phosphate can stop corals from calcifying

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of user is getting that issue with LR, ULR shuts off in 8 minutes.
Yea, @Hanna Instruments knew 2 minutes was a huge issue so they changed the timeout. But they were more interested in turning a profit than selling us a quality product so they left they crappy ones out there instead of recalling.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're dosing small enough amount into a large system, gets diluted pretty fast. On mine I just pour 7.5-10ml straight to the skimmer, less than 100g to total water volume, and all I get is hazyness.
Yours must be a more diluted product, I dont think the tiny bottle I bought even has 10 ml in it

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours must be a more diluted product, I dont think the tiny bottle I bought even has 10 ml in it
I have the 'brightwell aquatics' phosphate-e, I actually bought 2L, cause I know this going to be a long battle.
Instruction said 5ml per 20G to remove 1ppm. I am using a quarter of that per dose.
20201015_173604.jpg

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 'brightwell aquatics' phosphate-e, I actually bought 2L, cause I know this going to be a long battle.
Instruction said 5ml per 20G to remove 1ppm. I am using a quarter of that per dose.
20201015_173604.jpg
The stuff I got would only be 24 drops to bring down 1ppm in 20g

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that's my question. What is that point?
I had read this (from an article by "The Doctor" himself @Randy Holmes-Farley )
This inhibition of calcification takes place at concentrations frequently attained in reef aquaria, and may begin at levels below those detectable by hobby test kits. For example, one research group found that long-term enrichment of phosphate (0.19 ppm; maintained for three hours per day) on a natural patch reef on the Great Barrier Reef inhibited overall coral calcification by 43%.6
So if my reef was over .2ppm for years......

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! that means that once we factor in the concentration, I paid 2.5 times more per ounce-i got ripped!!!!
it's probably more than that. I paid $60 for 2liters which is about 67oz. Factoring concentration I got 13.5 oz. so it's about $4.45 per oz.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back