Different seahorses in my tank???

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told by a person who raises and breeds seahorses that I have 2 kinds of horses in my tank. I assumed they were erectus because they came from off New Jersey shore. She explained about warmer water flowing thru current bringing southern species up toward northern area. Well doesn’t matter to me I love em all

vonjankmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the pictures you posted it looks like you have some Reidi ponies in there as well as the Erectus that you would expect to find up by you. The Reidi are generally only found as north as Florida/Georgia but with global warning it's entirely possible some have moved up north and they really do look like Reidi to me.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is difficult from pictures to determine a true species I.D..
That being said, the common US erectus DOES have two distinct body forms of which the biggest difference is that the snout is shorter on one than the other.
The seahorse I.D. guide can help but it still requires much due diligence to be accurate in identification.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your in put rayjay. Just todos lady offers me a 125gal tank with all filtration. Honestly I don’t know enough to care for something that big. Not sure to take it or not

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your in put rayjay. Just todos lady offers me a 125gal tank with all filtration. Honestly I don’t know enough to care for something that big. Not sure to take it or not
I don't know what size your current system is, but if the price is right then why wouldn't you? Larger tank volume/system volume is always better. I don't have seahorses nor do I have ANY clue how to care for them, but a larger system is not any harder for care for regarding reef tanks

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd jump at it!!!
I really believe in time you are going to experience a LOT more work to maintain long term survival of your seahorses in present conditions.
Even with a 125g tank, 20 seahorses full sized is overload but still doable IF you really can maintain conditions needed.
If you can maintain temperatures low, especially from going above 68°F it will be easier than someone with say a tank at 74°, for whom most would find it impossible, then perhaps you will get them to live their full lives which will be 5-10 years or even longer. Of course, temperature is not the only requirement as water quality will STILL need to be maintained, but it won't be as problematic as higher temps.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 56 gallon cylindar tank so pretty tall with 7 seahorses. have had them for years at 72 degrees. never any problems. all erectus

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is encouraging to find that you have had such success at 72 because in the summertime my tank usually hold 70 to 71° temp and during the colder months it holds 67 to 68 on both of my tanks

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be VERY careful when assessing information you find from other posters.
In this case for instance, you are talking temperature where aj is running his tank at 72, and, indeed is overloaded by many peoples standards, but MANY people over the years with similar situations have NOT succeeded, and, with your tank being much smaller and MORE populated, it takes even more extreme husbandry to be as successful.
One CANNOT assume that THEIR seahorses will all have the same capability to resist disease that some others experience so even if you had the EXACT same conditions as another tank and maintained it the same, YOU may have one or more seahorses that are NOT capable of handling the same conditions the other tank has.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back