Different things ya do to organize around the tank...

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this might be an interesting topic... was wondering what everyone did to stay organized w/ all of their tank related stuff...

For a long time I had a big mess under my tank...supplements,food, marcro algae boxes kept falling all over... so I fixed it by applying velcro strips to each of the bottles.... and then putting velcro strips on the inside of my cabinet door..and attaching all of the bottles there.

Now they all stay put... and if I empty them... I just get more and put it back in that bottle to keep using the one with the velcro.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Czieler,

I hope you don't mind but I think your topic would be better housed in the "Other Reef Discussion". So I did a little organizing myself and placed it here.

BTW, I love the velcro idea. At one point in time I had a ton of eggcrate and I made some shelves behind my stand door. Worked well to hold food, test kits, and all kinds of random things.

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem...I wasn't sure which forum to put it in... since its not really reef...but its not really other..heh.

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent topic czieler. I have been pondering it for a while since I am in the process of upgrading my lights, and adding 2 more ballasts to my stand. Since my stand llike many is just 2 doors in the front, and a single bottom shelf that everything is cluttered on, I am thinking about trying to make a shelf of some sort also.

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had tried to put small shelf type baskets to the doors and walls of the cabinet... but... the wood was so thin... any screws I could have used would have punctured both sides... heh..

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to put something temporary in my stand. I really don't want to drill into it...it is one of those Oceanic Shaker collection stands. so many a wood shelf or something...I have to start thinking about it seriously...we are building the hood on Monday.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how bout some pics with all this talk?

also, if anyone is using any kind of dosers, like a LM3. i would like to see how you have your dosing station (LM3 or other doser, along with dosing bottles) set up. i was thinking about making a little station thingy to hold the LM3 right above the bottles so nothing can get knocked over and get messed up (like a feed line getting kinked up)

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stixbaraca said:
I need to put something temporary in my stand. I really don't want to drill into it...it is one of those Oceanic Shaker collection stands. so many a wood shelf or something...I have to start thinking about it seriously...we are building the hood on Monday.

Stix,

If you decide to go with the eggcrate shelf you can use super glue to glue it onto your wood. The best part about this is that if you don't like the look or if it breaks you can always sand off the super glue afterwards. BTW, I used hot glue at first, but super glue works much better.

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is what I will do. Did you do anything to the wood treatment wise incase it gets wet or moldy?

I will take before and after shots of under my stand also!

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stixbaraca said:
I think that is what I will do. Did you do anything to the wood treatment wise incase it gets wet or moldy?

I will take before and after shots of under my stand also!

Most of my stand's interior were painted white. But I think that if you go with natural wood on the outside you may have better results witht he glue. Pics would be great keep us updated.

BTW, I've been a lego kid so making something out of eggcrate was natural for me.

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...I though you used like 2x4s or something to make the shelf. I tried to make a brick sized stand out of all eggcrate with glue and zip ties as a stand for my skimmer...and failed miserably!!!

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the clutter and the fact that the top off tub was visible to justify building a cabinet/stand between the big tanks and that justified a frag tank plumbed into the main tank ;) . All my clutter is now in the cabinet (along with ballasts, etc.).

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stixbaraca said:
...we are building the hood on Monday.

Schweet!!!!!

:D
Laurie

Walmart has a really nice vertical cabinet at the moment for $150, about 6 feet tall, maybe 2 feet wide or less... I think that is what I am going to use. Kris almost killed himself the other day tripping on the stairs over some tank stuff of mine the cat was batting around on the floor. I got the evil eye for it...!

Laurie

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kris after tripping on Laurie's reef junk

eye.gif

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, yeah... That's about it! The amount of money/time that reefing takes up keeps him simmering, but the trip pushed him the rest of the way! It's cool, I made him his favorite supper... quick...!

Laurie

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back