Digging out my old Fluval Chi - Ideas Please :)

BSVKilbey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Welcome and thanks for reading.

Whilst I am not a "newbie" to fish tanks it has been about 3 years since I filled a tank up. However... never an SW tank! Always been a vision but not reality.

Upon clearing out my garage yesterday I found my old Fluval Chi 19L 5 Gallon Fishtank. I didn't bother cleaning it because the intention was to throw it away, however, I may have found a new home for it.

My first job is to give it a proper clean using nothing but water and a razor blade!

The reason for this post and joining the forum is some ideas for the tank.

As mentioned above I have never done SW and the dream is to eventually persuade the Mrs to put a nice hole in the wall between the Kitchen and kids playroom.
I know 5G is small and I will be limited but it is an ideal starting point so... HELP! :)

Any ideas, advice, or pictures of what you have done similar will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

tank.jpg
tank1.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! If you do a search for pico tanks then you should find some helpful info!

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
You can get the UK banner here:
Click "Join User Group", scroll to the bottom and click on "United Kingdom User Group".

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval Chi! It is currently holding a betta fish but I stare at it every day and wonder how I can convert this to SW eventually. (Given the relatively short life span of a betta fish ... )
So, this would work well for a FOWLR (fish only with live rock). I have some live rock in with Emily (betta). It does help. The Fluval Chi filter is really just some basic mechanical with carbon. The light is definitely not suited for any kind of coral.
If you want to do more with coral, I would suggest ditching the Fluval light / filter mechanism and going with a HOB filter and a small in tank protein skimmer. Fluval makes a nano light that is designed for rimless tanks. There is also the AI Prime. Go with the Fluval if you just want to do a basic soft coral, it's cheap. If you want to do anything LPS or SPS, spend a few bucks and get the AI Prime.

OP
OP
BSVKilbey

BSVKilbey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval Chi! It is currently holding a betta fish but I stare at it every day and wonder how I can convert this to SW eventually. (Given the relatively short life span of a betta fish ... )
So, this would work well for a FOWLR (fish only with live rock). I have some live rock in with Emily (betta). It does help. The Fluval Chi filter is really just some basic mechanical with carbon. The light is definitely not suited for any kind of coral.
If you want to do more with coral, I would suggest ditching the Fluval light / filter mechanism and going with a HOB filter and a small in tank protein skimmer. Fluval makes a nano light that is designed for rimless tanks. There is also the AI Prime. Go with the Fluval if you just want to do a basic soft coral, it's cheap. If you want to do anything LPS or SPS, spend a few bucks and get the AI Prime.
Thanks so much for this Answer. Nice to see we are in the same boat.

I will do some research tonight and also start a proper thread somewhere :)

OP
OP
BSVKilbey

BSVKilbey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Any thoughts on your filtration? I assume it’s glass since you’re taking a razor to it, so maybe just a hob?

Or no actual filtration. A good power head or two and just water changes?

I can’t wait to see it going!
It is a Glass tank yes, as for the rest, I am open to ideas, however, it seems I may need to change some bits.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back