Digging out my old Fluval Chi - Ideas Please :)

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for this Answer. Nice to see we are in the same boat.

I will do some research tonight and also start a proper thread somewhere :)
Yes! Please start a build thread. I am so down for this. Tagging along for the ride!
George Costanza Flirting GIF by MOODMAN

OP
OP
BSVKilbey

BSVKilbey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval Chi! It is currently holding a betta fish but I stare at it every day and wonder how I can convert this to SW eventually. (Given the relatively short life span of a betta fish ... )
So, this would work well for a FOWLR (fish only with live rock). I have some live rock in with Emily (betta). It does help. The Fluval Chi filter is really just some basic mechanical with carbon. The light is definitely not suited for any kind of coral.
If you want to do more with coral, I would suggest ditching the Fluval light / filter mechanism and going with a HOB filter and a small in tank protein skimmer. Fluval makes a nano light that is designed for rimless tanks. There is also the AI Prime. Go with the Fluval if you just want to do a basic soft coral, it's cheap. If you want to do anything LPS or SPS, spend a few bucks and get the AI Prime.

It is Starting, it will be slow progress but let's see.

OP
OP
BSVKilbey

BSVKilbey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Make sure to start a thread build so we can all see your progress

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I have a 5 gal pico tank as well. They are a lot of fun but you need to keep on top of your parameters. Also I learned the hard way careful with your rock placement, they are tight to work in so stick with what feels comfortable to work in and use marine pure to make up your bio surface area. Good luck man looking forward to seeing this up and running. A Neon Goby with a shrimp would be happy in there btw.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Welcome and thanks for reading.

Whilst I am not a "newbie" to fish tanks it has been about 3 years since I filled a tank up. However... never an SW tank! Always been a vision but not reality.

Upon clearing out my garage yesterday I found my old Fluval Chi 19L 5 Gallon Fishtank. I didn't bother cleaning it because the intention was to throw it away, however, I may have found a new home for it.

My first job is to give it a proper clean using nothing but water and a razor blade!

The reason for this post and joining the forum is some ideas for the tank.

As mentioned above I have never done SW and the dream is to eventually persuade the Mrs to put a nice hole in the wall between the Kitchen and kids playroom.
I know 5G is small and I will be limited but it is an ideal starting point so... HELP! :)

Any ideas, advice, or pictures of what you have done similar will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

tank.jpg
tank1.jpg
Welcome!

Vinegar soak helps me clean things more easily, though I use citric acid instead for cleaning pumps

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back