Dimmable T5s?

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything else, the options on lighting are plentiful. I’ve decided to add a T5 hybrid fixture to go with my Kessils but I’m not sure if I need dimmable T5s. There’s quite a price difference between the two and I’d hate to spend the money if I’d end up not dimming the T5s.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything else, the options on lighting are plentiful. I’ve decided to add a T5 hybrid fixture to go with my Kessils but I’m not sure if I need dimmable T5s. There’s quite a price difference between the two and I’d hate to spend the money if I’d end up not dimming the T5s.
IMO, since you can dim the LEDs for ramping up and down, I wouldn't worry about dimmable T5's. That's one advantage of using more than one type of lighting...

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the dimmable, but I wish I had gone with the regular.

There are more failure points for a dimmable, IMO, and I only use channel 1, which uses two bulbs as my ramp, and then I’ll use all of the bulbs for the peak.

I don’t use the dimmable setting because I don’t want to keep messing with my settings when I need to change bulbs which requires a burn-in period before dimming.

The only reason I went with the dimmable fixture was it only used one plug, while the non-dimmable used 3; I needed two fixtures to fit my 8ft tank.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the ATI sunpower fixture, the nice thing about their dimmable fixture is having the analog controller on the unit, but I wouldn't dim t5 lamps.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the dimmable, but I wish I had gone with the regular.

There are more failure points for a dimmable, IMO, and I only use channel 1, which uses two bulbs as my ramp, and then I’ll use all of the bulbs for the peak.

I don’t use the dimmable setting because I don’t want to keep messing with my settings when I need to change bulbs which requires a burn-in period before dimming.

The only reason I went with the dimmable fixture was it only used one plug, while the non-dimmable used 3; I needed two fixtures to fit my 8ft tank.
without a plan i could see a dimmable being a bit inconvenient but for $30 and a little trip to home depot i made a 2-place t5 fixture that simply served as a bulb burn in station. I'd buy 2 bulbs lets them run for 50 hours in the spare room and slip them back into their sleeves waiting to be subbed in.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
without a plan i could see a dimmable being a bit inconvenient but for $30 and a little trip to home depot i made a 2-place t5 fixture that simply served as a bulb burn in station. I'd buy 2 bulbs lets them run for 50 hours in the spare room and slip them back into their sleeves waiting to be subbed in.
I use 16 bulbs in total. (2x 8 bulb fixtures)
aint nobody got time for that GIF

:p

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 16 bulbs in total. (2x 8 bulb fixtures)
aint nobody got time for that GIF

:p
in that case i'd probably have set up a 4 bulb burn in station. my sunpower was the 8 bulb and i also kept a fairly tight schedule as cyano seemed to show up if i stretched them too far.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to spend the money you already know you don't need dimmable!
Done! LOL!

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to spend the money you already know you don't need dimmable!
Done! LOL!
I don’t mind spending the money…if it’s necessary. And since dimming T5s seems to be a new concept, I figured it was unnecessary. Especially considering I’ll have the ramp up/down with the LEDs

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind spending the money…if it’s necessary. And since dimming T5s seems to be a new concept, I figured it was unnecessary. Especially considering I’ll have the ramp up/down with the LEDs
Dimming T5s isn't a new concept t ll. It is unnecessary thought! It's not a pretty way to use T5s IMHO. The normal SunPower is the best option. Yes, use the LEDs for the dimming. You will be happier that way.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erin, did you decide on a fixture yet?
Lol, yes and no.
So I have an 8 bulb Sunpower but am worried about how high I’ll have to hang it due to the high PAR…
Then last week I talked to someone who said they’d sell me a 48 Photon v2+ for $350… That light would be perfect on a 48” hybrid…
And THEN, CoralVue had their Giesemann Stellar fixtures ridiculously cheap for Black Friday…

So, the 48” Giesemann hybrid should be delivered next week and I’ll pick up the Photon Friday. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

(anyone want a 60” Sunpower?)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back