Dino action plan

MuchNameWow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I got my first 200 liter marine tank running for 3 months now.

Parameters:
Kh: 7.8
No3: < 1
Po4: 0.04
Mg: 1380
Cal: 460
Temp: 25.2 °C

Lightning shedule (Red Sea Led 90):
Blue: 9:30 - 22:00 80% (ramps up and down)
White: 9:30 - 22:00 25% (ramps up and down)

Equipment:
Tunze macro algae reactor with chaeto (lights from 22:30 - 09:00), doesn't grow much lately, covered in algae
Deltec skimmer 400i
I added Seachem denitrate in the sump, to get my nitrates down because they were high

Corals:
4 Euphyllia
some sps

I'm dosing the fauna marine balling light and I dose Nitrates and Phospates to keep them from getting 0 since there are no fish in the tank now.

Microsope pictures of the algae (I think it's ostreopsis?):

micro_1.jpg
micro_2.jpg

What I did:

- Added copepods
- Added extra snails (I hope they don't die because it can be toxic I think?)
- Increased nitrate dosing
- Lowered temperature to 24°C

What can I do more? Should I clean the macro algae or throw it away. Should I get rid of the Seachem Denitrate? Different Lightning schedule? Dose bacteria? Get a UV light?

Thanks in advance

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
M

MuchNameWow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I got rid of them all. Tank looks very clean.

For people battling ostreopsis:

I added a Green Killer Machine 24w UV unit directly in the DT and wrapped the tank with dark plastic and no lights for 4 days. Also added active carbon for the toxins. I changed filter floss daily and kept skimmer running. (pulled a lot of junk out during the blackout) NO3 is now at 5 ppm and PO4 at 0.05. After the blackout I added more copepods, phytoplankton and bacteria. I didn't add hydrogen peroxide and didn't do water changes (I read that water changes actually feed the dino's and make it worse). Lots of life in the tank now and corals are looking better than ever. Lost one piece of acropora though.

Thanks for the tips.

joaocdestro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for ostreopsys, UV is the solution because they swim at night. and you should maintain no3 1-5ppm and po4 0,04-0,10.
no blackout needed, no snake oil needed.

In my case i had amphydinium, they don't swim, so i had to dose glasswater (silicates) to incentivate diatoms to outcompete with them.

Back